PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Artillery

Soldaten6
12 Nov 07, 10:11
This has probably been kicked around before but I have not been able to find it anywhere. Has there been any discussion about adding the ability to adjust artillery? I would propose that a leader with radio contact and visibility of the target area would have three or four spotting rounds fired by the base gun which he could adjust (as long as he still has the radio) before calling the full mission (fire for effect). I would still expect some scatter, especially with the larger calibers but this would give one the ability to fire long and then walk the rounds in closer. I guess that the scatter calculation might have to be different for a mission under this type of FO control and the current, seemingly more random model would remain for unadjusted missions. A similar discussion could be had concerning the provision to a defender of pre-registered TRPs for both direct and indirect fires. These would increase the accuracy and decrease the response time for indirect fires.

Appreciate any comments or thoughts. This is a great series of games as they stand and they have been the ones that I most turn to when I have the time to game.

Regards,

Bob

rahamy
12 Nov 07, 11:09
Welcome to the forums Bob, glad to have you with us!

This, or something similar to this, has been discussed by the testing teams and may see implementation at some future point. Incremental changes only allow for so much at any given time though.

Soldaten6
12 Nov 07, 11:57
Rich,

Appreciate the quick reply and I am glad to hear that this is under consideration for a future upgrade. One of the things I like about the Squad Battles series is the continuing support by the designer and publisher as well as a real effort to listen to the users and attempt to work in their desires/suggested improvements. I could see that evident when I scrolled back thru older comments and then saw some of the things discussed come out in updates. Clearly understand that everything can't be done and that which can cannot be done all at once.

Thanks again,

Bob

Dave68124
12 Nov 07, 13:58
This has probably been kicked around before but I have not been able to find it anywhere. Has there been any discussion about adding the ability to adjust artillery? I would propose that a leader with radio contact and visibility of the target area would have three or four spotting rounds fired by the base gun which he could adjust (as long as he still has the radio) before calling the full mission (fire for effect). I would still expect some scatter, especially with the larger calibers but this would give one the ability to fire long and then walk the rounds in closer. I guess that the scatter calculation might have to be different for a mission under this type of FO control and the current, seemingly more random model would remain for unadjusted missions. A similar discussion could be had concerning the provision to a defender of pre-registered TRPs for both direct and indirect fires. These would increase the accuracy and decrease the response time for indirect fires.

Appreciate any comments or thoughts. This is a great series of games as they stand and they have been the ones that I most turn to when I have the time to game.

Regards,

Bob

Good post. I have always thought how arty was handled and how smoke is handled and lack of drift was something that kept the game from being a "great" game. Still extremely good, but at this level of combat, those are things I would hope would be addressed some day.