PDA

View Full Version : Improvement

Wodin
28 Sep 07, 07:09
I've just reinstalled AotR and ES after over a year break. I think the recent patch's have improved the game but a fair amount of work could still be done. The loss of Effectiveness to me at times seems to have to much of an effect on the weapons far to quickly. After a few turns to actually get a kill is damn near impossible (although at times a feel most weapons seem less lethal than they should be). Another point is spotting. To become visible to the enemy whilst in a building just by going to ground doesn't seem right especially when the enemy is a few hexes away. Also a soon as a sniper fires he becomes visible thats annoying as well. Finally as we all know the armour needs abit of working on.

Still great to see improvements being made.

FastPhil
28 Sep 07, 13:26
I think you will find that the 'improvements' are geared to new SB games being released and the patches follow this release. Each new game usually attempts to highlight a new area of interest along with several game changes intended to improve play. I think you will find that changes will continue to be incremental and that is not necessary a bad thing. Its easier to debug, both coding and game play and determining any unintended consequences of changes. Also the case of time and funding.

As far as loss of effectiveness goes, there is a simple solution. Stop firing at everything in sight. :D Seriously, look at it this way. You can not continue to fire at max rate of fire indefinitely-first most weapons don't like that and secondly there isn't enough ammo carried by individual units. So you might look at it, as the units use up their ammo they limit there ROF to conserve ammo. Also many weapons get dirty, overheat with continuous fire and show a drop in performance with usage. The time taken could be to replace the barrels, resupply with ammo, clean the gun, add water(or some other liquid) to the cooling jacket or any number of things to increase performance. Maybe just trying to aim vice spraying a general area. :)
Studies of WWII showed it took thousands of rounds on average to kill one soldier.

Mike Cox
07 Oct 07, 20:52
I've just reinstalled AotR and ES after over a year break. I think the recent patch's have improved the game but a fair amount of work could still be done. The loss of Effectiveness to me at times seems to have to much of an effect on the weapons far to quickly. After a few turns to actually get a kill is damn near impossible (although at times a feel most weapons seem less lethal than they should be). Another point is spotting. To become visible to the enemy whilst in a building just by going to ground doesn't seem right especially when the enemy is a few hexes away. Also a soon as a sniper fires he becomes visible thats annoying as well. Finally as we all know the armour needs abit of working on.

Don't forget that you can now regain effectiveness by pulling out of the line, but you do need to measure your shots.

Could you send Rich a btl file that shows going to ground exposing a unit in a building?

I agree on snipers and armor too...

Ozgur Budak
08 Oct 07, 06:00
You get spotted anytime you are in standup position. So the reason is not going down but being standing up. You should get on the ground before enemy gets in LOS.

Agree with sniper and armor.