PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty?

Boosch
09 Aug 07, 06:16
Hey all!

I am a big fan of squad-based turn-based games, and I just recently stumbled across this title.

HPS: Squad battles: Eagles Strike

My question is: Is this game very difficult to get into?
I have limited gaming time, and would like the game to be fun, challenging but also not require me to use weeks and months to start playing.

Thanks for any replies.

Boosch

TheCapt
09 Aug 07, 08:18
the game system itself is not hard to master at all................as Ozgur noted mastering squad level battle tactics maynot be so quick .........plus there are lots of ASL scenarios made to go with the game!

rahamy
09 Aug 07, 09:22
If you use the Started help file which comes with the game you should be up and playing the game in about 15 minutes...of course it will take much longer to get the hang of all the intricacies of the system, but that won't keep you from playing. There's also people here that will be glad to play you via e-mail and answer questions as you go.

There's also 7 other titles in the Squad Battles series...so plenty of content to explore. :cool:

rahamy
09 Aug 07, 09:23
Oh, and welcome to the forums! :D

Ozgur Budak
09 Aug 07, 09:31
Very easy to learn and start playing but tough to understand the tactics to win on the battlefield. Especially against human opponents.

In this link you can find many articles on squad battles tactics: http://www.wargamer.com/hosted/squadbattles/index.htm

Boosch
09 Aug 07, 09:43
Great! Thanks for the replies:-)

I haven't bought the game yet, but I am mighty close:-)

Do I have to order a box or can I buy a digital download?

Looking forward to playing some of you by PBEM in the near future:-)

Thanks for all the additional info also.

Boosch

sergeant610
09 Aug 07, 11:00
Boosch

One of the things I like best about Squad Battles is how fast it plays. Some of the smaller scenarios only take a few minutes per turn. My life is pretty hectic these days, but I can usually find the time for a couple of PBEM turns each evening.

Jeff

rahamy
09 Aug 07, 18:50
Do I have to order a box or can I buy a digital download?

You must order the physical game, it comes in a jewel case with all the documentation on the CD.

One of the reasons the documentation is only in electronic format is that it can be updated regularly. Since Eagles Strike is part of a series, each time the series is updated this game gets an update as well rolling in all the new features...in fact this just happened with the latest title coming out in June. So you can be confident when you purchase the game that it won't get abandoned, but will be supported as long as HPS continues to publish SB games.

Boosch
10 Aug 07, 03:16
Thank you again:-)

I have decided that I will begin my squad battles campaign with Eagles Strike, but I'm also very interested in Vietnam and Tour of Duty.

One final question. What is the best place to order from?
By the way: I live in Norway.

Thank you again for all the help and replies. Gives me a good feeling about the community also:-)

I will se you around:-)

-Boosch

rahamy
10 Aug 07, 08:51
The most active European dealer I know of is - http://www.duchet.com/

You can also buy direct, or at a few other spots around the web.

eastwindrain
10 Aug 07, 14:29
Hi I live in Scotland, if I'm desperate to get a new game l'll order from Duchet but I mostly buy from NWS in the USA, as even with postage you'll save 25% on cost, takes around 5 days to arrive.
Now once the customs slapped on a charge which cancelled the saving but that's a chance you take.
Would recommened any game from HPS, great support with lot's of Mods available, but I prefer the Panzer Campaigns myself, but any of the games with a campaign is fantastic value.

Boosch
11 Aug 07, 05:36
Thank you again for all the help.

I just ordered from Squad Battles: Vietnam from Duchet. Can't wait:-)
Very difficult to decide what game I wanted but I took a chance:-)

Great help here.

Thanks

-Boosch

Joao Lima
15 Aug 07, 09:47
Hi I live in Scotland, if I'm desperate to get a new game l'll order from Duchet but I mostly buy from NWS in the USA, as even with postage you'll save 25% on cost, takes around 5 days to arrive.
Now once the customs slapped on a charge which cancelled the saving but that's a chance you take.

I live in Edinburgh and recently ordered a game from NWS, I had no problems with customs. As long as it's a letter and not a packet you should be fine.