PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and question about assaults

Andreas1966
23 Jul 07, 08:05
Hi,
first of all I'd like to introduce myself: My name is Andreas, I'm from Germany and I'm 41 years old. I play a lot of PBEM with the "Campaign Series" with my best friend here in Germany and I also like the "Panzer Campaigns", which I usually play against the computer.

I'm getting into the "Squad Battles"-Series (ES, AotR) now and I have a question about it. The gameplay seems to be "reduced" (not ment in terms of quality), compared to the Campaign Series or the Panzer Campaigns. Is it possible to assault a hex from several hexes at the same time? I miss the "Resolve assault" option that the other series offer.

Andreas

Joao Lima
23 Jul 07, 15:12
Hi Andreas.

Welcome aboard. Unfortunately in Squad Battles you cannot assault from multiple hexes at the same time. It's however a somewhat common request, so I imagine it will be introduced at some point. ;)

Andreas1966
23 Jul 07, 15:42
O.K. - Thanks for your helpful answer! :clap:

I'm really wondering why this feature didn't make it into the Squad Battles Series. :hmmm:

Andreas

FastPhil
24 Jul 07, 13:15
O.K. - Thanks for your helpful answer! :clap:

I'm really wondering why this feature didn't make it into the Squad Battles Series. :hmmm:

Andreas
I don't know. It might require a major engine change or it might just be the developer/designers/playtesters don't think it works well in the system. I'm not sure it would work well with the human wave attacks and adds more control to the player than he should have had. What works in PZC doesn't necessarily work well in SB. Because of different scales. A turn in PZC is different than in SB. ALso unit size and map scale quite a bit different. So a 'simultaneous assault' in PZC may actually represent cumulative individual attacks over a two hour period and not a 'simultaneous' attack at all.
this brings about the question 'how much control should a player have in a game' and has much to do with the feel of a game. Personally I don't like the fact that Demoralised units can fire. There have been enough studies done that indicate only a portion of any given small unit fires at any time while other members are 'cowering, seaking cover, or can't find a target'. JMHO

Joao Lima
24 Jul 07, 14:28
Demoralized units fire suffers penalties, it may or may not be enough penalty, but there is a loss of effectiveness when demoralized/pinned units fire.

Disrupted / Pinned = half fire value
Demoralized = fire value divided by 4

I do think that multiple hex assaults should be placed on the system. It makes sense that the player should have an opportunity to make multiple assaults, and then by each assault indicated the defender unit should be able to fire back at the new assaulting unit.