PDA

View Full Version : ATF Rocks!!!!

switch_back
26 Apr 04, 08:28
Im really starting to get into ATF now, the functions are becoming clearer and its alot easier to create advanced tactics of play, because of this. Some of the battles in the game are quite intense and alot of fun, especially watching a flight of A-10's swoop in and slam into a numerically superior aggressor and leave me with some even odds to fight against!!!

I only have one small gripe, I am encountering alot of situations where I have a group of vehicles set up in hidden positions, the moment a BMP appears on the crest of a hill it is destroyed without hesitation ( That was the idea ). A moment later artillery rains down on that position.... which is what I dont understand, the BMP would not have had time to reveal the position of my tanks to command in order to allow such a precision strike?! I think I may be referring to the firing lines that appear from units to cant see, allow you to zero in on its position, even if your unit has only just appeared over the horizon.

I probably havent worded that very well but can anyone make this a tad clearer?

But such a thing is easy to put in the back of your mind when your faced with such a good quality simulation as this!! :D glad I bought the game, I would have missed out otherwise!!!

Terry

CPangracs
26 Apr 04, 09:33
Im really starting to get into ATF now, the functions are becoming clearer and its alot easier to create advanced tactics of play, because of this. Some of the battles in the game are quite intense and alot of fun, especially watching a flight of A-10's swoop in and slam into a numerically superior aggressor and leave me with some even odds to fight against!!!

I only have one small gripe, I am encountering alot of situations where I have a group of vehicles set up in hidden positions, the moment a BMP appears on the crest of a hill it is destroyed without hesitation ( That was the idea ). A moment later artillery rains down on that position.... which is what I dont understand, the BMP would not have had time to reveal the position of my tanks to command in order to allow such a precision strike?! I think I may be referring to the firing lines that appear from units to cant see, allow you to zero in on its position, even if your unit has only just appeared over the horizon.

I probably havent worded that very well but can anyone make this a tad clearer?

But such a thing is easy to put in the back of your mind when your faced with such a good quality simulation as this!! :D glad I bought the game, I would have missed out otherwise!!!

Terry
Just because you can't see someone watching you doesn't mean someone isn't watching you!;)

switch_back
26 Apr 04, 09:39
Good point Curt, that could very well have been possible, But I have noticed this in the reverse when im doing the advancing, I get shot at, I cant see the actual unit doing the firing, but I can however see the line coming from the firing unit giving me a precise location on the firing unit, to counter this I just refuse to drop artillery in until I can at least see some form of unit in that position.

KG_Norad
26 Apr 04, 11:57
You may be getting spotted by dismount teams which are very hard to see unless you get right on top of em.

switch_back
26 Apr 04, 12:01
Righty then I think next time it happens, im going to smash every consevable area where a spotter could be with artillery!!! raaaahhh :mad:

:cheeky: Thanks

CPangracs
26 Apr 04, 12:09
Good point Curt, that could very well have been possible, But I have noticed this in the reverse when im doing the advancing, I get shot at, I cant see the actual unit doing the firing, but I can however see the line coming from the firing unit giving me a precise location on the firing unit, to counter this I just refuse to drop artillery in until I can at least see some form of unit in that position.
That's a REALLY bad idea, switch! If I see someone firing at me from, say, the edge of a copse of trees, I'm at LEAST going to fire some smoke to obscure between me and him or fire something to suppress! If I suspect a tank, I'll fore a volley of DPICM on a small area pattern in the vicinity of the where the fire came from. Often times, you'l hit the vehicle or suppress it. Smoke is usually best, though, as it can obscure enemy LOS AND decrease his IR spotting capabilities. You can then move into a position to spot and id what you are being engaged by.

Chances are, if you wait to positively identify what's shooting you, your unit will die rather quickly!

switch_back
26 Apr 04, 12:14
I suppose a bit of logical thinking helps somewhat too :rolleyes: , dont knwo why I didnt think of that, I guess I was just concerned in maintaining the level of realism that would up the challenge I had to rise to!

Thanks again Curt you have been very helpful :thumup:

CPangracs
26 Apr 04, 13:14
No problemo.