PDA

View Full Version : Help for SAW - Sweeping Kirgak scenario

jztemple
21 Jun 07, 17:04
I guess this could count as a spoiler, so I'll give it some carriage returns
As the Soviets in this scenario I am getting nowhere. I try to move to the west and I get hammered. I try to move against the hills and I get hammered. I stay in place and get hammered. Any suggestions on what I might do?

rahamy
21 Jun 07, 19:12
I'll see if I can get the scenario designer up here to comment on it.

jztemple
21 Jun 07, 21:17
Thanks. I don't think the scenario is in error as much as perhaps I'm not used to the range of the modern weapons. Sheesh, you sure need big maps when you can shoot people at a mile range with some of those Soviet heavy MGs.

rahamy
21 Jun 07, 21:57
Oh, I understand...I was just saying he could provide some insight to the action others may not have.

Glad it isn't too easy! :D

sergeant610
22 Jun 07, 10:04
Gentlemen:

As you have found out, Sweeping Kirgak is a pretty tough scenario for the Russians. The Muj heavy weapons, especially if they are "setup" are very effective. It doesn't help that you start in a fire sack either.

As the Russian player you will have to start with a map study. How far are the objectives and what kind of cover do you between your current location and where you need to get to. As you can see, there is not a whole lot of cover attacking towards the hills and you will be (although you may not know it yet) going deeper into the fire sack. You also have a pretty severe time limit. Both of these factors make the exit objective an attractive choice.

One of the problems with this avenue of advance is the chokepoint at the bridge, another is the mines on the other side. There is some concealing terrain on the other side of the river though that will help you get closer to your objective. You can use your smoke allowance to reduce the effectiveness of the Muj fire. In dealing with the mines, just remember that "in an operation of this size and complexity, you have to expect some casualties."

Good luck, it is a challenging scenario and a bit tougher than shooting up convoys.

Jeff Conner