PDA

View Full Version : Why do the German tanks have only one machine

HPBentien
08 Jun 07, 16:03
Why do the German tanks have only one machine gun in these games? Means information is that the Pz III-VI and the Tiger and Panther have 2 machine gun?

Ozgur Budak
09 Jun 07, 05:17
Although those German tanks had one more turret machine gun, in actual combat situations both main gun and the turret machine gun couldnt be used at the same time. At least it was the designer's rationale in those games.

Aries
09 Jun 07, 10:50
Being "available" doesn't always translate into actually being always available.

The bow mounted guns were tasked as anti infantry, the co ax was more about aiding the main armament to find the target, and a turret gun was for anti air.

If the bow gun was in use, it likely meant the driver wasn't busy driving.
If the coax is fixed, it means you likely can't use the main gun if you are engaging a non main gun target. And the commander can either command, or use the turret gun. Doing both is likely not an option.

Gamers need to remember, in real life, there were limitations. Just because a vehicle lists 3 potential separate machine guns, doesn't mean you just fire them as if they didn't require a specific amount of attention to do so.

It's about more than just statistics of how many guns were sitting on a vehicle.

JD Sullivan
09 Jun 07, 11:09
Les,
Bow Machine guns were operated by the co-driver/radio operator not the driver because, you are right, he's too busy driving the tank.

Tanks where the driver is the gunner are not completely unique, but uncommon none-the-less. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are: Char-1bis (he aimed the bow mounted 75) and the Strv-103 (that Swedish turretless tank).

Blackcloud6
09 Jun 07, 21:13
IActually, german dcotrine was for the bow MG to be either mounter in the bow or in the AAMG mount. The tanks were not issued with both an AAMG and a bow MG. I bet many crews just "happened" to "find" and extra MG though.

FastPhil
15 Jun 07, 16:02
Being "available" doesn't always translate into actually being always available.

The bow mounted guns were tasked as anti infantry, the co ax was more about aiding the main armament to find the target, and a turret gun was for anti air.

If the bow gun was in use, it likely meant the driver wasn't busy driving.
If the coax is fixed, it means you likely can't use the main gun if you are engaging a non main gun target. And the commander can either command, or use the turret gun. Doing both is likely not an option.

Gamers need to remember, in real life, there were limitations. Just because a vehicle lists 3 potential separate machine guns, doesn't mean you just fire them as if they didn't require a specific amount of attention to do so.

It's about more than just statistics of how many guns were sitting on a vehicle.

OK, I'll bite. Using your reasoning, can you explain why U.S. Tanks have more than one MG armament? I'm just :stirthepot: One must also keep in mind the size of the crew( no, not obese Americans:rolleyes: ). Also how come late model German tanks don't have the close in defense weapons or the ability to pop smoke?:gas:

Blackcloud6
15 Jun 07, 16:34
OK, I'll bite. Using your reasoning, can you explain why U.S. Tanks have more than one MG armament? I'm just One must also keep in mind the size of the crew( no, not obese Americans ). Also how come late model German tanks don't have the close in defense weapons or the ability to pop smoke?

The reason why American vehicles usually have more MG is because that was the requirment and they came issued that way. The German official requirment was only for Bow MG and COAX MG, and that the Bow MG could be moved to the AAMG postion if the situation dictated such.

The reason why late war German vehicles don't have some feature is because the cut out some items due to lack of materials and the need to get them produced as fast as possible.