PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News!! Next ATF Game Announced!!!

KG_Norad
20 Apr 04, 22:37
War in Afghanistan Announced!
Brand new ATF series game on the way!

Cary, NC, 20 April 2004 Shrapnel Games and ProSIM would like to announce the next title in the ATF Engine series of modern real-time strategy titles for Windows, War in Afghanistan. War in Afghanistan is possibly the most ambitious and informative ATF game yet, featuring over a century of regional conflict in one amazing package.

War in Afghanistan can almost be described as a survey-style wargame. Instead of focusing on one particular campaign or period War in Afghanistan will cover everything from British operations in country during the 19th century to the capture of terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden (hypothetical at this point, but possibly real by the game's release). From the Soviet invasion, to the rise of the Taliban, to Operation Enduring Freedom, all important conflicts in the war torn region are touched upon.

An interesting aspect of War in Afghanistan will be the treatment of the scenarios. While many wargames will provide a paragraph or two of color commentary which sets up the player, and may or may not provide a historical context, War in Afghanistan will feature extremely content-heavy scenarios. Setting up the scenario will be aerial photos (actual if possible) of the operations area, ProSIM's well-known highly detailed order briefings, briefing slides, intelligence estimates of enemy force composition, and more. Additionally, each scenario will feature historical notes on how the operation actually played out (if a historical scenario), and will even include helpful hints in the form of "commander guidance" notes for those having a tough time raising the flag of victory in a particular scenario.

Thanks to the rich reference material found in War in Afghanistan players will walk away from the game with a deeper understanding of the conflicts that have plagued the region. Historical lessons and an understanding of current events are made much clearer, as players will experience what it's like to face the challenges commanders have faced over the years fighting in Afghanistan. Indeed, ProSIM's War in Afghanistan will almost be an interactive military history guide.

The ATF core engine will experience many upgrades and modifications to accommodate the unique situations that will be presented in War in Afghanistan. These include:

* Technicals (in layman's terms, jeeps and trucks mounted with heavy weaponry).
* Horse mounted units.
* Inserting paratroopers.
* Instead of designated urban areas, War in Afghanistan will model individual buildings, allowing intense urban combat.
* Highly magnified maps specially designed to look good at any zoom level.
* Various radar types: artillery counter-battery radar, J-STARS, and ground surveillance.

Look for more information on War in Afghanistan as the project progresses at Shrapnel Games (http://www.shrapnelgames.com (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/)).

For press related information please contact Scott R. Krol at: skrol@shrapnelgames.com

I cant wait!:love:

Ivan Rapkinov
20 Apr 04, 22:54
Nice but I'm still waiting for AATF ;)

Scully
20 Apr 04, 23:29
That looks pretty cool!!! :D But you're killing me here...my first scenario (and a couple of others I was planning on doing), which I hope to finish sometime this century, is based on the Afghan-Russian war. I guess it'll have to be a warm-up. :)

Congrats ProSim and I'm looking forward to it.

Brian

Dr Zaius
21 Apr 04, 10:37
I have a few questions about this for Cpt Proctor.

1. How will the release of Raging Tiger and War in Afghanistan effect Air Assault Task Force? Has AATF now been pushed back, or will most of the planned features for AATF go into RT and WiA?

2. Are these going to be stand alone products or will they be add-on CD's for ATF?

3. The description briefly mentions a new zoom function that will be better than the current one. Can you tell us a little bit about what the plan is for this? Will this be implemented in such a way that the contours and map features look great at every zoom level?

KG_Norad
21 Apr 04, 12:35
My understanding of these ATF projects is that since they are being done by "other" design teams they should not greatly impact work on AATF. (I hope this is still true) It is also my understanding (but I am more hazy on this point) that the tweaks being done to the ATF engine in each subsequent ATF release are seperate from what we can expect from AATF. AATF was supposed to be a more radicaly upgraded ATF engine or a brand new engine all together.

Can you clarify this CPT?

Second these are all stand alone games. They will be backward compatible to support user made scenarios from the other ATF games.

Last,the zoom function is news to me perhaps he can expand on this as well.

Pat Proctor
21 Apr 04, 20:56
Gents,

There are a lot of questions here, so call me on anything I fail to answer...

Air Assault Task Force is going to be the "cap-stone" product of the ATF Engine. It is currently in production, parallel to the other projects (Raging Tiger, The Falklands War 1982, Thunder & Lightning, and War in Afghanistan).

I am committed to making every game in the ATF Engine series backwards compatible (which means that, while War in Afghanistan's scenarios will NOT neccessarily play in ATF, all of your ATF or RT scenarios WILL play in War in Afghanistan.

I am also committed to making every new tool that appears in a new game available to scenario designers. So, for instance, when you buy RT, you will be able to build/edit amphibious vehicles.

AATF WILL be a radical shift in both graphics and user interface. It WILL NOT be a departure from the ATF Engine. It will be built ON the ATF Engine (though, at cursory glance, it may be hard to tell that, since it will look much different). The best (and admittedly poor) analogy I can think of is DOS and Windows 3.11. Windows 3.11 was REALLY just an interface to use DOS. But, if you came to computers after Windows 3.11, it would not be surprising if you had no idea what DOS was. None of this rambling will probably make sense until AATF comes out.

But, again, I am committed to making all ATF Engine products including AATF, backwards compatible. So all of your scenario design efforts are not wasted.

AATF is still in production, and has not been pushed back by any of these projects. But I am not ready to put a date on the calendar. It is just too soon to say when this game will be released. Yep. I'm dodging the question of when it will be done. :p

THESE ARE NOT EXPANSION PACKS. I, and the team leaders involved with these projects, have all taken great pains to make these games products in their own right. I have done my best to add enough additional gaming goodness to each of these releases to make them worth the purchase for current ATF users AND great invitations to bring more players to the ATF community. New users do not need to own ATF to play the new games, though there is a great deal of inter-operability, which I hope will encourage new members of the community to go back and take a look at previous releases.

The zoom feature will ACTUALLY be introduced in The Falklands War: 1982. We are adding some more tweaks to make it even better in War in Afghanistan, but the feature will exist in TFW 1982. Basically, the resolution of the maps are increased, so that closer zoom levels, or even maximum zoom level, will be the default zoom level for a map. We felt this was essential for these, more infantry-centric titles.

I am afraid that the Shrapnel press-release might have created the wrong impression about this title. The FOCUS of the game is the battles of Operation Enduring Freedom. There will be several "prequel" scenarios that "set the stage" for this conflict by visiting major engagements of the British and Soviet occupations of Afghanistan. But anyone expecting a "Russians in Afghanistan" GAME will probably be disappointed (though I am confident the WarfareHQ crew will fill this gap soon after release ;) ).

Ivan Rapkinov
24 Apr 04, 20:03
Zhawar - Russian Nadir coming up :)