PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered ATF, what do I expect?

switch_back
20 Apr 04, 06:08
I just ordered ATF, wondered if you guys could fill me in on what the game is like to play compared to others? is it turn based or real time, etc?

Over at the Decisive Action forum NORAD was bullied into ordering Decisive Action so I wonder if he could throw me some pointers about ATF, and anyone else for that matter! :D

Thanks alot

Terry

Scully
20 Apr 04, 09:23
I just ordered ATF, wondered if you guys could fill me in on what the game is like to play compared to others? is it turn based or real time, etc?

Over at the Decisive Action forum NORAD was bullied into ordering Decisive Action so I wonder if he could throw me some pointers about ATF, and anyone else for that matter! :D

Thanks alot

Terry

Hey Terry,

ATF is a real-time tactical simulation. You can micromanage as much (down to the individual unit or fire team) or as little as possible. You can expect a fairly intense and sometimes difficult tactical experience that rewards good planning and execution and severly punishes mistakes. It ships with a good number of scenarios (NTC, Fulda Gap, and Iraq) and there are a bunch more posted here at WarfareHQ. In addition, KBluck has created a new database that models the use of dismounts a little more accurately. There are also a number of maps available and scenario creation is fairly easy (though I'm still working through my first scenario). It's also possible to create new units in the database, which is a nice feature.

I've never played DA and have only played the TacOps Demo, so I'm hesitant to offer comparisons (I play Harpoon and ASL in addition to ATF and hope to buy DA soon). However, I've found ATF to be a really great simulation/game and think you'll have hours of fun playing it.

Finally, I'd say that Cpt. Proctor (ATF's creator) is very responsive to the community and is on the forum's answering questions regularly. I'm sure you've peeked around the ATF forum, so I don't need to say anything about how great the folks here are...though I guess I just did. :)

I'm sure others will give you more detail, but that's a quick answer to your question. You may also want to go back in the forum archives for posts by newbies on ATF for tips on playing. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

Take care,
Brian

KG_Norad
20 Apr 04, 21:17
In one civilians humble opinion anyway. Tacops may have a more diverse unit database out of the box, but I am not sure if it is fully customizable the way ATF's is. With that said the Superb work Kbluck and Deltapooh have done has Greatly increased this part of the game. ATF's customizability adds a lot of value to the game!

To me what gives ATF the realism advantage over other tactical games is the evelation specific topographic maps that game uses. Not only do they "look" like real topographic maps, the elevations are truely represented so the LOS tool is invaluable.

Another awesome feature is the artillery model which is the most detailed that I have seen. Wind effects smoke and flares causing drift so you really have to plan your smoke missions well if you don't want your boys caught in the breach with no cover!

Coordination of your force is an art (you will see what I mean when you actually play) that one gets better at over time, adds interest, and gives you something to strive for rather then just "completing levels."

Many Scenarios & utilities have been created by our talented comunity! We have a vehicle attribute chart, table of probability, tutorials, A Mils converter for artillery and obstacle angles...(again you will see) and more.

It has a few rough edges, namely the survivability and usefulness of dismount teams, however custom databases have tweaked these so you have some options for your personal preference. This is ARMORED Task Force after all, Air Assault Task Force one of the Captains future releases will be more infantry centric.

You can move units individually or by company which saves on mouse clicks. And when it's all said and done it is fun to play! To be sure it takes more brain power then Command and Conquer but the pay off is that it feels like you are commanding real troops. If you read my bio I mention this. What comes to mind is Mr Clark in Clear and Present Danger sitting in his room acting as Command HQ from his hotel with nothing but a PC, radio and satellite link. :love:

Ivan Rapkinov
20 Apr 04, 22:33
Tacops = more maps
ATF = more units and possible scns.

switch_back
21 Apr 04, 04:49
All that info is making my mouth water :cheeky: , cant wait till it arrives, I was so impatient I ordered it on worldwide express so it'll probably be here tomorrow or Friday, I let you know what I think when I get a chance to play it!!!

Stardog
22 Apr 04, 01:21
Welcome to ATF. Like you I just ordered it not long ago and am still pounding away on the DV scenerio :nuts:
Whoever made that beast should have their finger nails pulled out with a pair of plyers :)

Anyway I have played around with alot of wargames and i tell ya what drew me to BTC and now ATF was that it was realtime.
To me that just makes it so much more realistic and immersive.
I dont mind turn based games but i always come back to BTC and now ATF in the end because it just feels like it is a step ahead.

Good luck with it!

switch_back
22 Apr 04, 04:45
So in being a realtime game, is there any functiom which allows you to briefly pause the action to give detailed instructions to units, or at least a bit of time to build a battle plan?

If there isnt I can only the imagine the intense pressure this game puts on a player tactically, but sounds good though!

KG_Norad
22 Apr 04, 09:29
There indeed is a pause function. When you first start a game you have an initial set up time before you set the clock. In some scenarios the designer has pre set your forces, in others you have to do the set up. During set up you can move the units freely, mount or dismount troops instantly, and set sops & orders etc. Once your ready to go you start the clock. Mounting or dismounting will now take time to occur. You can pause to give orders, or give orders with the clock running. When nothing is happening you can compress time.

switch_back
22 Apr 04, 09:53
Sounds good to me NORAD, just what I was hoping for, I think its coming through today or tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it! :D