PDA

View Full Version : A Q from a newbie ATF'er

RobAPol
18 Apr 04, 12:19
Just got this sim and got my butt kicked doing the tutorial. I do have one q on it though. Given that the enemy have set up a killzone in the valley, wouldn't it be better to attack them from either the North or South thus outflanking them? Or would this be unrealistic because of the zones that the command have set up? It just seems a bit wierd to me why anyone would want to wander into the jaws of a trap?!

KG_Norad
18 Apr 04, 13:40
http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2977

The above is just one thread from our forum there may be some more.

Here is a thread from Shrapnels forum with some links about the same question:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=73;t=000019

Also an AAR for Death Valley Attack will be posted I hope in the next few days.
I am not sure about the DV Attack scenario but I will try to answer your question about phase lines in a general way. Often times in ATF you are assumed to be controlling a small force in a larger engagement. Your area of operations is usually assumed to be flanked by the operating areas of additional "phantom" friendly forces. The phase lines in real life would be to prevent fratricide incidents from occuring. Because ATF does not actually show you these additional forces its easy to look at all the open space around you and think "What bone head thought up this plan?" when in reallity you would have other friendlys in these areas going through the same hell you are!

The up side of this is if you learn how to use the editor you have plenty of map space to create new and exciting scenarios!!

Hope this helps some. Check out our downloads sections as we have a lot of really great Scenarios, Maps and Utilities that you also may find useful!

Also let me say welcome aboard! It's great to see new players drop by and feel free to post any other questions you might have!

kbluck
18 Apr 04, 19:39
Your area of operations is usually assumed to be flanked by the operating areas of additional "phantom" friendly forces. The phase lines in real life would be to prevent fratricide incidents from occuring. Because ATF does not actually show you these additional forces its easy to look at all the open space around you and think "What bone head thought up this plan?" when in reallity you would have other friendlys in these areas going through the same hell you are!

They're sector boundaries. Phase lines are perpendicular to your axis, and as the name implies, are control measures to divide your sector into "phases" of the operation, that is, some important choice is assumed to come due when something crosses a phase line.

Don't forget the "phantom enemy" forces. It can be assumed that the enemy has tied in his flanks with adjacent enemy units as well (which is what those "phantom friendlies" are supposed to be fighting.) So, simply running out of sector to "flank" the enemy likely wouldn't really work, as you'd just run into those adjacent enemies' kill sacks instead.

Then, assuming you survived the enemy, you'd find yourself trapped in your brigade commander's kill sack as he relieved you of command and possibly even had you arrested for your gross and irresponsible disobedience...

:dead:

--- Kevin

KG_Norad
18 Apr 04, 21:01
Thanks for the help Kbluck! My "official" terminology is not up to par! I understand concepts much faster then I learn the details! :D

RobAPol
19 Apr 04, 13:22
Thanks All,
I've now got a handle on this. I think its because I have played so many different tactical games, you lose sight of what in real life would be the overall situation. IE Being a part of an overall front.
I'm currently going through this scenario again, this time my own way, rather than the tutorials run through, whilst at the same time honouring the boundaries. So far only one minor pickup, in that my artillery had to be brought up early, when it should have been in place to assist my early recce observations.
My plan is to take out their flanking units first before performing the main primary thrust. Again thanks for all your feedback, much appreciated.

RobP