PDA

View Full Version : SB Tourney: Fox Hill AAR Discussion

TheBigRedOne
25 Apr 07, 12:24
With Round One finished, does anyone care to discuss Fox Hill #1?

For my education, I'd love to hear from the guys who won as the Chinese, since it seems that the majority of us lost while playing the Communist Side. What types of tactics did you employ? How did you manage to overcome the huge firepower advantage the GIs had?

From my perspective, it was a headlong death march straight into the US killing zones. I attempted to spread my forces out over a wide range of real estate and overwhelm the northern most objective, while massing a large scale assault at the southern objectives. I managed to take the northern objective with a Human Wave, but by then my losses were so horrific that I still wound up with a major loss. I could not get enough leverage and non-disrupted troops to take the souther objective. The US MG unit as well as the dug in infantry squad kept my guys pinned and disrupted the entire time.

My mortars were effective, but I was unable to get my heavier weapons on-line quickly enough to make a difference. Did anyone else experience that?

All-in-all, a fun scenario. As the US side, I merely kept trying to shoot as many stacks and men as I could. I managed to reinforce the northern objective with three full US squads at the end, preventing it from being overrun. Even if it had been, the Chinese lost so many men that it would have been a loss.

A tough scenario for the Communists.

Any other thoughts?

reapagan
26 Apr 07, 22:32
Chinese Minor - Unfortunatley no skill or art involved, I just moved forward with what ever was on hand and attacked with anything. Of course the "human wave" which allows all units that pass the test to attack regardless of their status was very helpfull. Also used mortars on stronghold hexes to loosen them up. Just luck really.

Allied off board was tough to access, only got to use it once, I think. Otherwise just shooting everything I had at threatening Chinese units again no real tactical acumen needed just good shooting.

Fun scenario on the whole though, excellent opponent as well. I look forward to trying Shotgun Messiah on the field.

Mike

Mike Cox
01 May 07, 21:12
I took a major win for the commies. I think it comes down to your human wave attempt.

You can use it in the south or in the north, I chose the north. I made a pretty cautious advance and worked hard at keeping my leaders in good spots. I was worried about OBA so did not stack them. We moved in close and then used the wave. If I had failed that roll it would have been much tougher. I made great progress on the left, but could have done better had I waited a turn on the right. Once you have the Americans in a bear hug, the numbers told the tale.

As the American I always tried to target his leaders hoping to weaken a human wave. I think he failed his roll though since I never saw one materialize.

TheBigRedOne
02 May 07, 10:34
Yeah, I held my breath when I hit the "human wave" key. Didn't matter, I was able to take the hex, but I had some horrific losses by that point.

FastPhil
02 May 07, 18:34
I took a major win for the commies. I think it comes down to your human wave attempt.

You can use it in the south or in the north, I chose the north. I made a pretty cautious advance and worked hard at keeping my leaders in good spots. I was worried about OBA so did not stack them. We moved in close and then used the wave. If I had failed that roll it would have been much tougher. I made great progress on the left, but could have done better had I waited a turn on the right. Once you have the Americans in a bear hug, the numbers told the tale.

As the American I always tried to target his leaders hoping to weaken a human wave. I think he failed his roll though since I never saw one materialize.

Yup, my LDR failed his DR and it was down hill from there.