PDA

View Full Version : Fox Hill Tourney, Am I missing Something?

z1812
25 Feb 07, 12:30
Hi All,

I have looked at the first scenario in the FoxHill Tourney, in which I am playing, and I am confused.

It seems the Chinese already have a Major Victory so why would they feel compelled to attack?

As the American I may compel them to fight by patroling or attacking but close to half of the American units are fixed in position for the duration of the game.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone else find this odd?

Regards John

rahamy
25 Feb 07, 15:49
The losses will quickly mount for the Commies once they begin their attack, but yes, the Commie commander must initiate that attack to get the scenario rolling.

Dazooz
25 Feb 07, 15:50
Hey John, (I'm assuming you are same z1812 from the Blitz!)

Yeah, there are number of scenarios in the Squad Battles series like that. Usually it means that the attacker is going to have a lot of troops with the probability of high casualties, (Ham Sandwhich from Eagles Strike is like that).

While maybe this type of scenario is not the best for tournament play, I've never had a problem with SB players making their best effort to attack the objectives as the scenario designer intended.

Dazooz
25 Feb 07, 15:53
In fact it looks like we had a similar discussion already here!

http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62660

FastPhil
25 Feb 07, 17:03
In fact it looks like we had a similar discussion already here!

http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62660

yes we did:halo:

z1812
26 Feb 07, 00:59
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I must agree with Fast Phil who suggests that the reward match the risk when designing a scenario.

This type of arrangement just seems.............bizarre.

In any case I shall simply attack with my Chinese. However it seems to preclude any cagey planning. I have lost some SqB games because I tried too much finesse and so ran out of turns. If I did that here it would mean victory.........and could be interpreted as "gamey playing".

So I will attack. Sound the horns. Here comes the human wave.

Regards John

TheBigRedOne
26 Feb 07, 12:30
I think the reason that most of us play SB is to actually engage in combat with an opponent to see how well we do. I've never really worried about the 'winning and losing' aspect of these games, maybe I'm in the minority on this one. Maybe my win/loss record at the Blitz confirms this!

Sure, I like to play well, but if I play well and lose to someone, that's cool, too. It's not like winning this tourney gets you a million bucks or a new car or anything....

;)

Rifleman95th
02 Mar 07, 15:10
I think the reason that most of us play SB is to actually engage in combat with an opponent to see how well we do. I've never really worried about the 'winning and losing' aspect of these games, maybe I'm in the minority on this one. Maybe my win/loss record at the Blitz confirms this!

Sure, I like to play well, but if I play well and lose to someone, that's cool, too. It's not like winning this tourney gets you a million bucks or a new car or anything....

;)

That record will change if you keep playing me Alan :)

Nik

TheBigRedOne
02 Mar 07, 15:44
Nah, we just picked a game that the GI's were in the box before it started. Next time you'll be kicking my butt from here to Pusan...