PDA

View Full Version : Operation Sand Castle (KB)

kbluck
02 Apr 04, 20:46
As a testbed for some scenario design ideas I've been playing with, I've modded DP's Operation Sandcastle rather extensively. I think you'll find it to be a delightfully painful experience.

This is a completely different set of scenario data; it won't step on the DP original.

Download Here (http://www.wargames.warfarehq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344)

--- Kevin

KG_Norad
02 Apr 04, 22:15
Thanks for contributing! Can't wait to check it out!

Michael

Scully
02 Apr 04, 22:51
Hmmm...it's been downloaded. Now I have to find time to suffer. Looking forward to it...I think! :crosseye:

Brian

Scully
03 Apr 04, 21:39
Hey KB,

I tried to play your scenario tonight and had some problems. First, it asks if I want to "reload database." I've said yes and no, but have received the same response:
1. Direct Draw Error DDERR_OutofMemory
2. Error in ATF.EXE

It could just be that my computer is old and slow, but wanted to make sure before I gave up on getting destroyed by your scenario. Other scenarios opened fine.

Any thoughts on what is going on here?

Thanks,
Brian

XRAY
04 Apr 04, 16:28
Same problem on my system as well KB, Direct Draw Error followed by an ATF crash.

Perhaps that cunning devil DP has put some sort anti tampering code into his scenario :rifle:

kbluck
05 Apr 04, 12:51
These things are always mysterious. There were some database changes, which I (probably foolishly) packaged with the scenario. I can think of three possibilities:

1. You don't have kbDataModern database installed at all.
2. You downloaded and re-installed the kbDataModern database *after* installing the scenario, which would have stepped on the new changes (I forgot to update that separate download.)
3. I completely muffed up the download package. This sounds a lot like that crater bug I reported; I might have been a dumbass and zipped up the wrong file, one of the old ones that still has a crater in it.

I've since updated the kbDataModern download. You should download and update to be sure that's not the problem. Get it here. (http://www.wargames.warfarehq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301) Also download and install the scenario again, since I've rechecked and reuploaded that as well here. (http://www.wargames.warfarehq.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=344)

I wish there was better packaging of scenario files, or at least a bit more folder organization. I've got 1,640 files in my ATF/data folder, and its only going to get worse. It doesn't help that every single scenario adds some two dozen new files to the mix. Please, Pat, make it easier for us to segregate DBs and scenario files into their own subfolders!

--- Kevin

XRAY
05 Apr 04, 15:10
Ok Kevin, just downloaded the new set of files and the scenario now runs without problems.

Thanks for the challenge!

Scully
05 Apr 04, 23:32
Works for me too. Now I just have to find some time to play it.

Thanks again Kevin.

Brian

rjbhutton
29 Apr 04, 09:48
As a testbed for some scenario design ideas I've been playing with, I've modded DP's Operation Sandcastle rather extensively. I think you'll find it to be a delightfully painful experience.

This is a completely different set of scenario data; it won't step on the DP original.

Download Here (http://www.wargames.warfarehq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344)

--- Kevin
Kevin: is the download autosetup/install, or do I have to unzip different files into different folders? I guess if I just downloaded the thing that that is all explained in a Readme, but I have downloaded stuff in the past that I have been unable to install correctly, so I wanted to check... thanks for the info
R

kbluck
29 Apr 04, 12:51
The download is an unadorned ZIP file. Extract all files into the 'Data' subfolder of your ATF install.

You may have a second ZIP to download as well, depending on when (if) you last downloaded and installed the kbDataModern database. Same thing; extract that completely into the 'Data' folder. The link to that is at the bottom of the Scenario section post.

--- Kevin