PDA

View Full Version : The Units file questions

FM WarB
02 Jan 07, 19:58
I have been poring through the excellent units file in the website referred to in the 3D files thread. The Waterloo units file has a unit pic for Each regiment, with flags, G for guards, L for light, little horses for horse arty, etc. These pictures seem at first blush to reflect accurate uniforms.
My question is this: If the units pictures are accurate enough to determine light or heavy cav, types of guns (these have [6] or [12], etc on right upper side, not artwork), scottish highlanders from 95th light, do certain informational aids provide too much information to the enemy in FOW games? Do the [G] or [L] provide too much info to the opponent?
If the unit picture is good enough, need the French player know that those are Hannovarian militia, not Brit infantry, although if a nation flag is in upper, left, that might provide a clue?
How much info in that picture is needed by the Owning player?

FM WarB
02 Jan 07, 20:50
I should say, that I suppose the picture is not the problem , but the info provided in the side bar is. Should be different for friendly and enemy.

Gary McClellan
03 Jan 07, 21:12
It's a mixed bag really. Honestly, most troops could see well enough to have a fair idea of what was facing them, especially once they were in line with one another.

Where it gets to be a bit more problematic is those times where you see someone 35 hexes away moving up a road, and you get that quick glimps of "guard" or the like.

I'm reminded of a couple of incidents (not in the Naps, but the idea is the same). Early on in the Battle of Gettysburg, the Confederates thought they were facing a scratch force of Penn militia, until they noticed that they were wearing some distinctive black hats... in other words, the Iron Brigade.. and the troops commented to that effect.

Likewise, there's a famous incident at Chippawa (War of 1812) where the British forces thought they were facing militia because of the grey uniforms the US troops had (which were the result of a supply snafu). Well, as the troops moved into position smartly under fire, they realized otherwise very quickly (several soldiers mention this, though it's unsure if the "regulars by God!" quote attributed to Riall is true, since the first mention was in Scott's memiors 30 years later).

So, looking across and seeing certain things isn't entirely unreasonable. It would be nice to make goofs though.

FM WarB
04 Jan 07, 12:38
[QUOTE=

So, looking across and seeing certain things isn't entirely unreasonable. It would be nice to make goofs though.[/QUOTE]

At Quatre Bras and Waterloo, there were "friendly" fire incidents, with unlucky Dutch Belgian units whose uniforms in some cases looked much like the French being fired on by Brits and Prussians. I dont see any replication of that in the cards.
Thing is, if you see two enemy units standing in column 1000 meters away with one a "G" (no bearskins) and the other not, who are you going to bombard?

Gary McClellan
04 Jan 07, 14:56
Agreed, the only "friendly fire" comes from clumsy mouseclicks (which can happen, if you've never managed it), and it would be good to have it. That said, I'm one that feels you can try to pile too much into a game.

As to your "shoot the guard or the regulars" thought. If you were a real live battery commander and had a column of Bearskins, and a column of just plain Ligne to shoot at, which way are you shootin?

FM WarB
04 Jan 07, 22:51
At 1000 meters, standing still, Hanovarian militia will look much like Brit GD...The young GD and some Middle GD wore no Bearskin.
I suppose if you shot them, and they didnt disorder or route, that would give you a clue...lol

AlAmos
04 Jan 07, 23:40
"Thing is, if you see two enemy units standing in column 1000 meters away with one a "G" (no bearskins) and the other not, who are you going to bombard?"

I'm not going to bombard the G troops. They will probably not rout, but if I get the troops next to them to rout, they will disorder.

rahamy
05 Jan 07, 17:52
Exactly...the weakest link...

Sgt_Rock
10 Jan 07, 14:19
I have always hoped that we would have silhouettes used for each troop type over a given distance. Would add some ADDITIONAL (added by edit) FOW to the game.

As to friendly fire ... some of us misclick now and then and fire on our own troops.

Here is one idea: use a table each turn to decide if you have friendly fire. Something like this:

(use 2 x d10 with 0 as 0)

0-95 - no friendly fire
96-98 - one unit in woods or village must be fired on and only if its adjacent to one of your friendly units OR if uniform is similar to enemies (ie. Saxons at Wagram village)
99-100 - two units as per above

Odds would eventually catch up to allow for it. Just a fun alternative.