PDA

View Full Version : Q about British vehicles and camo tool

Deltapooh
18 Feb 04, 16:25
I'm working on the Warrior MCV (Already have the Challenger complete). The overhead reference I have appears to contradict other images I've seen of the Warrior. It appears the side is slanted one side. This is different from pictures I've seen of the Warrior. I was thinking it might be an older version of the warrior since it look similar to a diagram I have in an old book.

Also, what other British vehicles are there:

I already created the Challenger I

That leaves the Warrior, Scorpion, Samaritan, and Land Rover. Am I missing some?

Also, for those of you designing vehicles, I found a nice free plugin for Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and some other graphics programs. It has a number of preset designs. However, you can create your own. Camouflage v1.01 (http://www.vanderlee.com/adrenaline_download.html)

CPangracs
18 Feb 04, 16:55
I'm working on the Warrior MCV (Already have the Challenger complete). The overhead reference I have appears to contradict other images I've seen of the Warrior. It appears the side is slanted one side. This is different from pictures I've seen of the Warrior. I was thinking it might be an older version of the warrior since it look similar to a diagram I have in an old book.

Also, what other British vehicles are there:

I already created the Challenger I

That leaves the Warrior, Scorpion, Samaritan, and Land Rover. Am I missing some?

Also, for those of you designing vehicles, I found a nice free plugin for Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and some other graphics programs. It has a number of preset designs. However, you can create your own. Camouflage v1.01 (http://www.vanderlee.com/adrenaline_download.html)
Challenger II
Centurion
Chieftain
Alvis Stormer 30
Alvis Scarab
FV102 Striker
FV 103 Spartan
FV 106 Samson
FV 107 Scimitar
FV 430
FV 601 Saladin
FV 603 Saracen
TRACER
MRAV

I'm sure there are more out there...:devil:

XRAY
18 Feb 04, 17:23
Donít forget the AT - 105 Saxon, the British Armyís Battlefield Taxi.

It would be fantastic if Kbluck and your good self came up with a US/UK Custom Database.

kbluck
18 Feb 04, 18:43
The overhead reference I have appears to contradict other images I've seen of the Warrior. It appears the side is slanted one side. This is different from pictures I've seen of the Warrior.

Actually, both sides are angled on top. However, these angles are typically covered with stowage, and I think they've also been adding some anti-RPG spaced armor to the sides, which obscures the true shape of the hull. The picture you have is "naked".

--- Kevin

Deltapooh
18 Feb 04, 19:18
Thanks CPangracs. Fortunately, I have good pics of all those vehicles. I'll keep looking.

It would be fantastic if Kbluck and your good self came up with a US/UK Custom Database.

I'm trying to balance making vehicle pieces with a few other things I am working on for ATF. A reference booklet for KBlucks Modern database is one. I do plan to release a number of British vehicles, with a modified database and possibly a converted scenario. Vehicles will be added over time.

We'll get there. It will just take a little time.

Of course I can't speak for what KBluck might have planned. I don't think he has much of a choice, but to look at expanding the list of countries in his database. There are no more American and Soviet vehicles. :D

Deltapooh
18 Feb 04, 19:23
Actually, both sides are angled on top. However, these angles are typically covered with stowage, and I think they've also been adding some anti-RPG spaced armor to the sides, which obscures the true shape of the hull. The picture you have is "naked".

--- Kevin

Thanks. I'll use other references to supplement.

Ivan Rapkinov
18 Feb 04, 19:23
make sure you add the 40mm CTA turret - weapon of the future :)

Deltapooh
18 Feb 04, 19:25
make sure you add the 40mm CTA turret - weapon of the future :)

Okay. I'll look for a reference of that turret. It should be slightly modified right?

Found a pick of 40mm CTA turret.

Ivan Rapkinov
18 Feb 04, 19:31
Okay. I'll look for a reference of that turret. It should be slightly modified right?

Found a pick of 40mm CTA turret.
yeah, tis a big beasty of a turret :)

the 40mm CTA cannon looks to be the next Bushmaster -> I'll try and find the specs for the gun itself.

DP, thinking of adding FRES?

Deltapooh
18 Feb 04, 19:47
yeah, tis a big beasty of a turret :)

the 40mm CTA cannon looks to be the next Bushmaster -> I'll try and find the specs for the gun itself.

DP, thinking of adding FRES?

Thanks.

FRES? You might have you expand on this a tad. I recall reading about the British working on somekind of medium system called FRES to fulfill a wide range of roles. I don't recall seeing the vehicle though.

Gary
20 Feb 04, 14:50
Delta,

This is a fairly comprehensive list of vehicles currently in service with the British Army.

FV 4030 Challenger.
FV510 Warrior, Variants OPV, CPV and REME repair and recovery vehicle.
AT 105 Saxon, Variants armoured ambulance, REME RRV, CVP and I S vehicle.
Sabre
FV 102 Striker
FV 103 Spartan
FV 104 Samaritan
FV 105 Sultan
FV 106 Samson
FV 107 Scimitar
AFV 432, Variants armoured ambulance, 81mm mortar carrier
AFV 434 Maintenance
MLRS
AS 90
L118 Light Gun
Starstreak/Stormer HVM
FV 180 Combat Engineering Tractor
Challenger ARRV
Challenger AVRE
Challenger AVLB
M3 Amphibious Bridge
Landrover 90, 110 and Wolf
All Terrain Mobility Platform
Truck Utillity Medium (Pinzgauer 716m)
Reynolds Broughton RB44 Truck
DROPS 8x6 15 tonne truck
Truck Cargo 14 tonne 6x6
Truck Cargo 8 tonne 4x4
Carrier Full Tracked Articulated BV206
Fuchs Reconnaissance Vehicle (Panzer 1)
HET Oshkosh 1070F & King Trailer GTS 100

Hope that helps

Gary :devil:

Deltapooh
20 Feb 04, 15:12
Helps out alot Gary. Many thanks.

Gary
20 Feb 04, 15:18
It will be interesting to see how your vehicles compare to the ones I am currently working on for War in the Falklands.

Gary Bezant

Deltapooh
20 Feb 04, 15:58
It will be interesting to see how your vehicles compare to the ones I am currently working on for War in the Falklands.

Gary Bezant

Your's will be far better. I suck at image editing.

kbluck
20 Feb 04, 17:01
BTW, Gary, I ran across a copy of GDW's Harpoon supplement "South Atlantic War" in my stash the other day. It seems like a pretty complete sourcebook for the Falklands War, including the land portion. The nice thing about gaming sources is that all the relevant data is predigested into a consistent format so that it is easy to make comparisons, and most of the research they consider relevant to their game is likely to be relevant to yours as well, making for a highly focused treatment. Literary/historical sources tend to have lots of stuff you don't care about, frequently don't mention stuff you do, and require a lot of converting apples to oranges.

Of course, whether or not you trust the assumptions and conclusions of the game designer is another question. I personally would give this one the benefit of the doubt; Larry Bond's work on Harpoon was good enough for Tom Clancy to list him as co-author for Red Storm Rising. It might be worth looking up if you don't already have it.

--- Kevin

Gary
20 Feb 04, 17:17
Kevin,

Thanks, you reminded me that I have the Harpoon South Atlantic War with all my other Harpoon game bits in the loft. I will look it out.

Thanks

Gary