PDA

View Full Version : ATF Tournament???

Scully
10 Feb 04, 21:38
Mike (NORAD) and I discussed the possibility of doing an ATF tournament when we took over the forum. While I don't want to get anyone's hopes up right now, I'd be interested in hearing if there is any interest out there and what type of tournament you'd like.

As I don't want to get expectations too high just yet, if there is interest, a tournament probably won't happen until this summer. Maybe just in time to try out some of those new IDF units. :)

Thanks,
Brian

Pat Proctor
10 Feb 04, 22:21
Brian,

I for one would love to participate in a single-player competition. You could set up a thread for a tournament on a certain scenario with a cutoff time for submissions. Then everyone could play the scenario and cut and paste their results to the topic. You could set a standard like "most remaining blue combat power with mission accomplished" or "shortest time to mission accomplishment" (that would require a screenshot rather than results window data).

People could, at their discretion, add AAR type comments on how it went down.

That's just my two cents, but I think that setting up a multiplayer matchup would be difficult with adults with real lives. I know it would be damn near impossible for me to carve out 2-4 hours (what with all this game development going on ;))

Dr Zaius
10 Feb 04, 23:04
Such a tournament would have to make heavy use of "gentlemen's rules," but that shouldn't be a problem with this crowd. Nobody that plays this sim plays for status; they play for the fun and the challenge.

KG_Norad
10 Feb 04, 23:17
Such a tournament would have to make heavy use of "gentlemen's rules," but that shouldn't be a problem with this crowd. Nobody that plays this sim plays for status; they play for the fun and the challenge.
This is exactly why we thought a hairbrained scheme like this might work for this particular game! :D

Michael

Pat Proctor
11 Feb 04, 00:02
I'm not comitting to being honest until I see how well everyone else does ;)

Combatengineer
11 Feb 04, 00:02
Such a tournament would have to make heavy use of "gentlemen's rules," but that shouldn't be a problem with this crowd. Nobody that plays this sim plays for status; they play for the fun and the challenge. -Don Maddox
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly why we thought a hairbrained scheme like this might work for this particular game! :D

Michael

I would play

Ivan Rapkinov
11 Feb 04, 06:55
I'm not comitting to being honest until I see how well everyone else does ;)
HEY! the developer can't be in the tourney! ;)

who knows what magical tools he has at his disposal...

then again, there is always photoshop :D

CPangracs
11 Feb 04, 08:35
HEY! the developer can't be in the tourney! ;)

who knows what magical tools he has at his disposal...

then again, there is always photoshop :D

:D

Good one!

I'm in.

Scully
12 Feb 04, 23:06
I'm glad to see some interest in the tournament. Based on the poll results, Mike and I will begin thinking about a tournament vs. the AI. Any suggestions on how the tournament should look (thanks Cpt. Proctor) would be appreciated.

Like I said in my initial post, this could take a little while, so don't get too excited just yet. Mike and I will keep you posted on our progress.

Take care,
Brian

Gary
08 May 04, 05:43
Hey,

Count me in, sounds like fun.

Gary

Alkiviadis
08 May 04, 09:34
Count me in for this one

Scully
08 May 04, 21:53
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm working on some draft rules for the tournament. They're basically done, but I want to let NORAD take a look before I post anything.

Once I post them, I'm going to be asking for comments and suggestions. I'll also start working on the scenarios(we'll be playing the AI, so it's going to take a little longer). I don't expect it to kick off until later in the summer, but I still plan on running a tournament for ATF. Thanks for your patience.

Brian

switch_back
03 Jun 04, 10:32
I'll give it a go! I'll be the one that sits at the bottom of the ladder and doesnt move, because everyones doing ten times better :p