PDA

View Full Version : What OOB would you like to see most?

Scully
09 Feb 04, 22:48
I thought this was an interesting thread on the POA-2 forum and thought I'd ask it here. Personally, I'm pretty excited about the Korean module coming out. In terms of potential hostilities, that's one of the places I'd like to check out.

We have the U.S., Russia, and Iraqi units. It looks like we'll see some UK units in the Falklands module. What else out there interests you guys? What historical or potential future conflicts would you like to see in ATF?

Take care,
Brian

Ivan Rapkinov
10 Feb 04, 00:53
I

D

F

:)

Deltapooh
10 Feb 04, 13:41
I

D

F

:)

What era? I have a bunch of diagrams.

Scully
10 Feb 04, 22:31
I don't know Ivan, can you be a little more clear about what you'd like to see? :)

I'm planning on learning how to edit the database and create scenarios over the next few months, so if IDF ends up being the winner, I'd be happy to start creating the OOB for them.

What type of scenarios would you like to see with the IDF? Or I guess to DP's point, what era? A modern tangle in the Middle East or a historical six-day war reenactment?

Like I said, I'd be happy to work on creating the units. If anyone out there wants something else, speak now or forever hold your peace. Otherwise we'll be seeing some new IDF units being created.

Take care,
Brian

Dr Zaius
11 Feb 04, 00:05
Stop sugarcoating it and tell us what you really think...

Philip
11 Feb 04, 05:56
The British Army of the Rhine circa 1980 v Soviet so i can reminice about the war i trained for that never came ....thankfully.

Ivan Rapkinov
11 Feb 04, 07:48
IDF is easy - there are three pertinent periods.

1948-1956 (Operation Yoav, and Suez Crisis) - not really relevant for ATF design.

1967-1973 (Six Day War, Yom Kippur) - perfect, but more battles of manuveur, ME67 by HPS does it really well, though ATF could be good for a short run :)

1978-1982 (Operation Litani, Operation Peace for the Galilee) In my mind, the drive for Beirut in PftG, plus the Guardian of the Cedars, the SLA and all the other disparate elements, (never mind the Syrians!) would be good for ATF battles - I mean, IDF mech forces against Hezbollah/PLO insurgents , getting ambushed from the orange grives outside Tyre and Sidon... perfect counter-insurgency warfare, at a grand scale.

Ofc, modelling modern equipment would be more fun, with the IDFs fun stuff, but 1982 is for me the perfect period in IDF history to wargame - the first use of the Merkava's, the Mag'achs, the Zeldas etc etc - reallly good stuff that you never see covered - ever :)

Ofc, my preference for LICs is well known, and it would be more likely for a game regarding the 6DW or YK to make an appearance in the future :)

Scully
13 Feb 04, 00:03
Ok. So I'm going to get started on the IDF sometime soon. Philip...I'm not blowing you off, I'm just hoping the UK troops you're looking for will be in the Falklands War version.

And my understanding is that we'll be able to use that database with the scenario editor...am I right on that? So we'll be able to create your scenarios for you. If that's not the case, I'll put them next on my list (of course, I have to finish the IDF :) )

If anyone has any tips, as this will be my first attempt at creating units, I'd appreciate them. In addition, any information or links that you think we'll be helpful, I'd appreciate you sending them along. My email is bmzsscully at cox.net.

Thanks,
Brian

Philip
13 Feb 04, 01:20
Ok. So I'm going to get started on the IDF sometime soon. Philip...I'm not blowing you off, I'm just hoping the UK troops you're looking for will be in the Falklands War version.

Brian

The Falklands war was essentially infantry/Royal Marines conflict on land (ignoring other naval elements which in reality was where it was won and nearly lost). This being the case the armoured formations were not present, with the exception of a few recce vehicles. So all things infantry should be there but not the rest.

Anyway if and when you have the interest I for one would like it but as a majority of players are probably from the US I recognise that this would be a minority interest.

Philip

Deltapooh
13 Feb 04, 07:04
The Falklands war was essentially infantry/Royal Marines conflict on land (ignoring other naval elements which in reality was where it was won and nearly lost). This being the case the armoured formations were not present, with the exception of a few recce vehicles. So all things infantry should be there but not the rest.

Anyway if and when you have the interest I for one would like it but as a majority of players are probably from the US I recognise that this would be a minority interest.

Philip

I wouldn't say there is no interest in making them. I've gathered images of the Challenger, Scorpion, Warrior, Samson, Samaritan and Land Rover. The problem has been the time-consuming task of designing top-down pictures with the appropriate amount of detail to be somewhat recognizable.

Not to be complaining, but if more people were open to using NATO symbols such as those designed by CPangracs, there would be alot more vehicles available.

Right now, I have several open projects. The largest is converting Kbluck's Modern Database into a workbook. Right now, I estimate it will be around 500pgs! 800pgs is not unlikely as well.

Black Moria
13 Feb 04, 11:35
UK and French forces will make an appearance in Thunder and Lightning: The Battles of Desert Storm

CPangracs
13 Feb 04, 11:53

And my understanding is that we'll be able to use that database with the scenario editor...am I right on that? So we'll be able to create your scenarios for you. If that's not the case, I'll put them next on my list (of course, I have to finish the IDF :) )

If anyone has any tips, as this will be my first attempt at creating units, I'd appreciate them. In addition, any information or links that you think we'll be helpful, I'd appreciate you sending them along. My email is bmzsscully at cox.net.

Thanks,
BrianI use photographic-quality on my pieces for Raging Tiger, where possible, significantly altering and resizing and such to get the look just right for the small size of pieces in the game.

I know my method for creating pieces for ATF is different than anyone else, but I like this more than the overhead shots simply because they are, for me, easier to recognize.

If you want good pics of all kinds of equipment, you can look on http://www.webshots.com (http://www.webshots.com/), or look at http://www.army.lt/ for an excellent source of reference.

Philip
13 Feb 04, 12:24
I like the challenger! Difficult to find top down pics of UK hardware. When I made some vehicles for Close Combat 3 I found the best way was to make a nice big but simple picture of about the size of the challenger you have then just shrink it down to size. The best pics I made were not the best once shrunk. I would have very much liked at that time the pics of UK kit but I could not get my hands on it at the time so I ended up making US and Russian kit instead.

For those of you who like pretty pics...a T80 with reactive armour. However, other people seem to be doing such a great job I don't think I am going to try my hand at it further.

Deltapooh
13 Feb 04, 12:54
I use photographic-quality on my pieces for Raging Tiger, where possible, significantly altering and resizing and such to get the look just right for the small size of pieces in the game.

I know my method for creating pieces for ATF is different than anyone else, but I like this more than the overhead shots simply because they are, for me, easier to recognize.

If you want good pics of all kinds of equipment, you can look on http://www.webshots.com (http://www.webshots.com/), or look at http://www.army.lt/ for an excellent source of reference.

I thought about this myself. However, there is the blending issue when resizing. Getting side view images of the vehicle (I am assuming that is what you employed) is far more easy than overhead veiws. I have about 150 such views. Still I can't find any of the Chinese vehicles, which is also widely used around the world.

kbluck
13 Feb 04, 13:31
Getting side view images of the vehicle (I am assuming that is what you employed) is far more easy than overhead veiws. I have about 150 such views. Still I can't find any of the Chinese vehicles, which is also widely used around the world.

Most Chinese vehicles are nearly indistinguishable from the Soviet vehicles they were copied from. Very few designs are "original". Even the newest Type 90 tank, for example, is a development of the Type 85, which is a modification of Type 80, which is basically an upgunned T-54. This is typical Chinese practice; copy the platform and make incremental improvements.

That said, the Chinese have made strides towards true "original" design of weapons. We can expect newer designs to look less and less "Soviet".

Anyway, at the scale of the game's graphics, you can generally make very convincing Chinese vehicles with minor modifications of the corresponding Soviet vehicles.

--- Kevin

CPangracs
13 Feb 04, 15:27
Most Chinese vehicles are nearly indistinguishable from the Soviet vehicles they were copied from. Very few designs are "original". Even the newest Type 90 tank, for example, is a development of the Type 85, which is a modification of Type 80, which is basically an upgunned T-54. This is typical Chinese practice; copy the platform and make incremental improvements.

That said, the Chinese have made strides towards true "original" design of weapons. We can expect newer designs to look less and less "Soviet".

Anyway, at the scale of the game's graphics, you can generally make very convincing Chinese vehicles with minor modifications of the corresponding Soviet vehicles.

--- Kevin
This is true, if you are using the overhead view. I have taken a different approach in Raging Tiger. I am using (hopefully) good quality side views ONLY, and there is no rotation of the piece. Friend and foe are distinguishable by the direction they are facing and the vehicle "type". I know this sounds strange, but it really does look nice and you get used to it very quickly. It also provides for a map "convention" of Friendlies attacking Right to Left and Enemy Left to Right. Even when going North to South or vice-versa isn't too bad. I guess you will have to judge for yourself, but it will definitely have an interesting look and feel, as the maps are quite a bit different as well.:)

If I've given too much away, I'm sure Pat will smack me good, but I believe that I should test the waters a bit, here most of all.