PDA

View Full Version : TDMS: Traffic Stop (1/30/04)

Deltapooh
30 Jan 04, 08:17
This month's installment in the Tactical Decision-Making Series is now available. Traffic Stop puts you in charge of C/2-4 CAV, attached to 24 ID in the early days of OPERATION: DESERT SHIELD. Saddam get's stupid, wait a whole month, then tries to invade Saudi Arabia. While the poorly cooridated offensive begins to fall apart as soon as the first Coalition round zipped past the Iraqi's head, not everyone in the Iraqi Army is so ignorant. One Brigade commander manages to penetrate deep and is racing toward a critical juncture.

It is your job to stop him. You'll need to advance to the objective, seize it, then transition a defensive posture. You are heavily outnumbered, and defending a zone that is several times larger than your a force of your side should be assigned.

The scenario is not too difficult. The focus in this scenario is on maintaining situational awareness. A period of boredom can quickly give way to a brief, but intensive battle. You'll also need to manage your resources, and learn how to predict enemy movement. I used the M270 MLRS. It can be extremely effective. However, it takes almost five minutes for munitions to arrive on target. That means you'll have to do some rapid calculations or your be plowing sand with tens of thousands of dollars in munition.

Try to play the scenario without stopping the clock, particularly when the fight picks up. There is an intense, but brief battle. Managing that fight without stopping the clock takes alot of focus.

I do have an AAR almost complete. I'll release it Monday, after people have had time to play with the scenario alittle.

Download Page (http://www.wargames.warfarehq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299)

BTW: I know the MLRS doesn't stow 84 rockets. I did add the M985 HEMTT with M989 HEMAT. However, the game would crash everytime I tried to establish a formation. I'm almost certain the issue is the length of the vehicle. Anyhow, instead of trying to resolve the issue now, I simply deleted it and stowed the additional missiles aboard the vehicle. There is no real penalty for reloading vehicles. (There should be a time penalty. It can take a long time to reload one of these vehicles.)

kbluck
30 Jan 04, 13:09
I know the MLRS doesn't stow 84 rockets. I did add the M985 HEMTT with M989 HEMAT. However, the game would crash everytime I tried to establish a formation. I'm almost certain the issue is the length of the vehicle. Anyhow, instead of trying to resolve the issue now, I simply deleted it and stowed the additional missiles aboard the vehicle. There is no real penalty for reloading vehicles. (There should be a time penalty. It can take a long time to reload one of these vehicles.)

I've actually gone back and forth on this sort of thing. Some pieces simply can't operate without their associated ammo vehicles; the M110 203mm, for example, only has provision to carry a grand total of 2 (yes, two) rounds on board, and most of the crew won't fit either. Imagine having to upload after every two shots. It just won't work without a FAASV to feed it, and to make it practical in game terms you'd have to treat the FAASV load as integral to the M110. The M109 is commonly paired off with FAASVs in a "battle-buddy" formation as well; with a FAASV backed up and the conveyor working, there is no practical difference between shells on one or the other, as they can transfer faster than they can fire. Many Russian guns also include a supply track or truck in normal operations, and like the M110 can't really operate without it. Why shouldn't we pretend in such cases that the ammo vehicle is just part and parcel, and smoosh them together?

MLRS and other rocket launchers are a special case that wasn't really allowed for in the game. With Grads and whatnot, the reload time is so long that you can simply treat them as "one-shot" for all practical purposes and call it good. MLRS throws a wrench into that assumption, as they can reload in 10 minutes or so under ideal circumstances. Unfortunately, "upload" seems to be instantaneous.

To be honest, I think you're getting a little "MLRS-happy". Those systems would rarely be cut to direct support of tactical operations. They are intended for deep-strike against high-value rear area targets, massed follow-on echelons, and counterfire work.

But, what the heck, it sure is fun to lay waste with those suckers.

--- Kevin