PDA

View Full Version : Some Interesting Stryker Program Info...

CPangracs
21 Jan 04, 13:05
Very interesting,...the Stryker program is ripe for an HBO special on mismanagement, back-scratching, and kickbacks. I'm glad I'm out of that rat race!

http://www.combatreform.com/strykerprogram.htm

Black Moria
21 Jan 04, 13:21
Seems pretty damning to me. So why is Stryker the "Cinderella at the Ball" that the US military is blind to its obvious deficiencies?

John Osborne
21 Jan 04, 13:49
Seems pretty damning to me. So why is Stryker the "Cinderella at the Ball" that the US military is blind to its obvious deficiencies?

One word "Politics"

kbluck
21 Jan 04, 13:49
Well, to be fair this guy has an obvious dislike for the LAVIII line. He can't find *anything* good to say about them. I'll be the first to admit that a wheeled APC provides superior mobility if you expect to operate mainly on hard surface roads and firm, dry earth. I'm sure the LAVIII family will provide an acceptable level of service; its not that they're complete garbage that just doesn't work at all like, say, Sergeant York.

However, to me the damning aspect of selecting LAVIII for Stryker is that the Army seems to have forgotten the whole point of Stryker. The idea was to have an armored force that can be rapidly deployed into austere, unimproved theatres entirely by airlift. Given that, why in the world would they select a vehicle system that requires about twice as many sorties of scarce heavy-lift transports to deliver to the theatre, can't fly at all on the CRAF reserve air fleet, has no airdrop capability, and only very limited intra-theatre redeployability since only some of the class fit on C-130s and even fewer can move by helicopter? The fact is, given our scarce inventory of heavy-lift air transports, we'd require a couple of weeks to deliver a LAVIII brigade by air, assuming availability of good, secure international-quality airports and that the Air Force was willing and able to completely strip its other worldwide operations of C-5s and C-17s. You could do about as well by a fast RORO cargo ship. Notice the first deployed brigade is, sure enough, going by ship. If, as a practical matter, they still have to be delivered by ship, why wouldn't we just send a heavy brigade in the first place?

One would have to assume that the LAVIII has some sort of compelling tactical advantage to accept these strategic mobility limitations, and yet I just can't see them; what few advantages it does have seem fairly trivial, all of them except the road-bound speed advantage can be achieved on the M113 chassis with fairly minor refits, and it has a counterbalancing set of tactical disadvantages to boot, most notably soft-ground mobility. Certainly, low cost isn't an advantage; the M113 would cost much less, even with extensive refitting.

In military and financial terms, the selection of LAVIII is simply indefensible. The motivations have to be political.

--- Kevin