PDA

View Full Version : Now that we know what Scully wants...

KG_Norad
15 Dec 03, 21:35
Now that we know what Scully wants...what do you other guys want for Xmas?

I am having a frugal Xmas for the time being so I got Lost Victories Mega Campaign for SPWAW.

If my holiday becomes less frugal I want CMAK and Korsun Pocket but if I have to choose the verdict is still out. I LOVE CMBO & CMBB which I have but I really like the game mechanics in Korsun, it really lets you handle big battles with minimum effort.

So now that you know what I want, what do YOU want...besides world peace?

Also has any one read my book review? If so has any one else read that book Arnhem 1944?

Michael:joy:

Scully
15 Dec 03, 21:39
I think I may pick up the book you reviewed...it sounded pretty good. I'm also asking for Kampfgruppe Peiper 1 and 2 for ASL. Though I'm not sure I can afford so many games. Sometimes it seems like I ask for more games now than when I was a kid. :)

KG_Norad
15 Dec 03, 21:46
I know I ask for more...but I also get more now. I guess I am making up for a deprived childhood;)!

Michael

John Osborne
16 Dec 03, 11:00
I'm also asking for Kampfgruppe Peiper 1 and 2 for ASL.

Scully, Is ASL a good game? And have you tryed the VASL yet?

---John

Scully
16 Dec 03, 14:23
Scully, Is ASL a good game? And have you tryed the VASL yet?

---John

John,

There is honestly no better WWII boardgame (many would argue there's no better wargame period) than ASL in my opinion.

Here's what I like about it:
1. Astonishing level of depth, detail, and flexibility. You can have a scenario that involves a night parachute drop in heavy wind and snow that puts American Airborne troops against Italian conscripts with motorcycles. I mean you can do anything...and scenario designers have created scenarios covering just about every type of action that occurred.
2. I didn't find it overally difficult to get started. You can learn the basics of the game fairly quickly and play a basic infantry on infantry scenario pretty easily. It starts getting more complex when you introduce armor, off-board artillery and some of the other rules(caves, amphibious assaults, desert, jungle, etc.). The bottom line is that you can really determine how complex you want the game just by selecting scenarios that are appropriate for your playing level.
3.The community is very large and very active. I live in the DC area and there is actually a great club here with 30 or more members that play once a month. Online, you can follow the ASL forum here and see how active they can be.
4. Experienced players are always ready to help newbies learn the game. I learned the game by playing against the same guy almost every saturday for a year. We would pick a new rule for me to learn then play a scenario using that rule. You find the same thing with VASL...people are willing to help the new guy out. In addition, people are always looking for ways to help players play the game. There are a ton of player aids, examples of play, articles, etc. to look over and learn from.
5. VASL - I've only played 4 or 5 scenarios via vasl, but I loved it. And they are constantly improving it. I don't know if they still do this, but there was a time when you'd get two experienced players playing each other and providing commentary into their thinking to newer players watching in. Very cool.

Things I don't like:
1. Very expensive. Most of the core modules are in the $60-$80 range. Just to get started you need to purcase the Rulebook at $80 and Module 1 Beyond Valor which I also believe is $80. And once you get hooked, there is a never ending supply of materials to buy.
2. MMP (ASL's current maker) is sometimes a little slow in reprinting necessary materials and developing new modules. I've had the version 2 rulebook on order for about 6 or 7 months. So it can be a little difficult to get started. Though, going back to why I like the game, if you find someone in your area that plays, they will often loan you a rulebook and let you use their modules to play while you learn the game and wait for your own stuff to arrive.
3. A lot of Rules - Playing ASL, for me anyway, is nothing like riding a bike. There are so many rules and exceptions to rules, that if you take any time away from playing it takes a little while to get back into it. I've lost more games because of rules mistakes -- or just not knowing all the rules...it can be a little frustrating.

Bottom line -- if you like board wargames, you can't do any better than ASL. If you have a local club or some local players, even better. If not, I've found VASL to be easy enough to use. But be warned, once addicted, it will cost you.

Take care,
Brian

KG_Norad
16 Dec 03, 14:36
I think ASL looks Great but I have't been able to rev up the engines enough to break the price barrier yet! While you find stuff on ebay you would think that MMP would put some kind of priority on reprinting the Manual and Beyond Valor...the 2 things you must have to play.

The other issue I have with ASL is the time factor, Lining up a move or two is hard enough with a PC game. Trying to get a whole battle in is sadly not a reallity for me unless they print something more interesting to my wife, perhaps (A)dvanced (S)hopping (L)eader :cheeky:

Michael

Scully
16 Dec 03, 15:20
The other issue I have with ASL is the time factor, Lining up a move or two is hard enough with a PC game. Trying to get a whole battle in is sadly not a reallity for me unless they print something more interesting to my wife, perhaps (A)dvanced (S)hopping (L)eader :cheeky:

Michael

Hey Michael,
There are actually plenty of ASL scenarios you can play in a few hours. And the real nice thing about VASL is that you can save your games and resume at a better time for you and your opponent. This is particularly helpful with large scenarios or campaign games that you just can't do in one sitting.

The cost, however, can be difficult to overcome. Fortunately for me, I bought a lot of this stuff prior to marriage and kids when I had some spare money laying around. Nowadays, I don't really buy anything new. I still have so much to play that I can't justify spending all the extra money.

Take care,
Brian

KG_Norad
16 Dec 03, 16:30
, I don't really buy anything new. I still have so much to play that I can't justify spending all the extra money.

Take care,
Brian

Funny this is the exact argument my wife uses on me :(
Which is entirely justified I guess :rolleyes:

Thats nice to know that you can save a VASL game! That is a real bonus.

Thanks
Michael

John Osborne
16 Dec 03, 16:42
Thanks, Scully, :D

I still have my Xmas shopping to do :nuts: and my wife knows what I want for Xmas, by leaving a lot of stickum notes all over the house :nuts: So I should have ASL soon I hope.

I would like to interact with humans again instead of staring at a monitor all the time. It is also nice to hear about VASL. Going to try it sometime.

I just saw that there is a ASL club here on the Front Range of Colorado :D

---John

Scully
16 Dec 03, 21:54
I just saw that there is a ASL club here on the Front Range of Colorado :D

---John

I actually think the Colorado ASL club is very active...at least it used to be. They may even have their own tournament/convention. Let me know when you get yourself setup and we can stumble through vasl together.

Scully
18 Dec 03, 14:56
John and NORAD,
Just an FYI in case you don't stop by the ASL Forum, but apparently MMP is going to be launching a "Get Started in ASL" module that will include basic materials for a new player: basic rules, a couple of boards, beginner scenarios, and enough counters to play. And they plan on selling it for around $25. This might be a good way for you to see if you like it without going broke. Of course, when you find out you do like it, you'll have to go buy everything anyway. :)

There's more info in the ASL Forum on it.

Take care,
Brian

John Osborne
18 Dec 03, 16:15
John and NORAD,
Just an FYI in case you don't stop by the ASL Forum, but apparently MMP is going to be launching a "Get Started in ASL" module that will include basic materials for a new player: basic rules, a couple of boards, beginner scenarios, and enough counters to play. And they plan on selling it for around $25. This might be a good way for you to see if you like it without going broke. Of course, when you find out you do like it, you'll have to go buy everything anyway. :)

There's more info in the ASL Forum on it.

Take care,
Brian

Thanks, Brian :D Yes I saw it, Going to place my order for it. Plus I will be in Denver Jan 17 for an ASL game. :nuts:

Scully
18 Dec 03, 17:01
Thanks, Brian :D Yes I saw it, Going to place my order for it. Plus I will be in Denver Jan 17 for an ASL game. :nuts:

I'm glad to hear it. Good luck with your first game and let me know how it turns out.

Brian

KG_Norad
18 Dec 03, 17:13
A pity that did not read "Going to be in Denver with NORAD, for an ASL game."

:cry:

Michael:D

John Osborne
18 Dec 03, 17:17
A pity that did not read "Going to be in Denver with NORAD, for an ASL game."

:cry:

Michael:D

You can't make it? Its on a saturday :(

KG_Norad
18 Dec 03, 17:22
Actually I meant it as kind of a joke...not to really butt into your business:D!

Michael