PDA

View Full Version : Order of Battle Guide - Napoleonic Series

Sgt_Rock
23 Oct 06, 04:07
I have put up a guide that I use for creating order of battles for the Napoleonic series. I believe it to be very comprehensive but if you think of something I may have missed let me know.

I have a couple of tips I want to add to it in the future but for now you can find it at:

Napoleonic Gamer Resources (http://www.fireandmelee.net/np/resources.html)

AlAmos
23 Oct 06, 22:07
Bill,

Looks good.

You may want to let people know the best reason to put supply wagons within thier formations is to allow 'chain movement' along roads. If you use the wagons at the bottom of the OOB file, it will break the chain.

This creates funny situations. In a current Waterloo game, I've moved a long string of units by using the alt key after highlighting Napoleon, and all the units move along except a few supply wagons. I guess even Nappy couldn't control supply issues. hehehe...

Sgt_Rock
24 Oct 06, 10:27
Al - the BEST way to use chain movement is to NOT highlight any unit at all. Simply CLICK on the hex that has the lead unit. Do NOT highlight any unit. Now ALT+right click on the hex you want them to move to and presto, they ALL move in one big chain. Thus if you have a MIX of units from several brigades you can move the entire lot by just CLICKING on the hex with the mouse and then ALT+right click on the destination hex.

FM WarB
26 Oct 06, 10:55
"R - two rank militia - cannot detach skirmishers"
This is incorrect. R is three rank line infantry that cannot detach skrmishers. They form extended line at the three rank line number and unlike milita can form square.

Sgt_Rock
27 Oct 06, 11:10
Hmm, thanks for the note on the R type line.

I am getting this info from an older source.

I am wondering now what kind of unit this is.

For now I will note it as 3 rank unknown type.

If anyone can identify the code for a 2 rank militia type please let me know. I will discuss this with John Tiller as well.

FM WarB
27 Oct 06, 15:51
Rock,
R units behave exactly as three rank line infantry which cannot detach skirmishers. They accurately depict some regular infantry of the period.
W.