PDA

View Full Version : SB:Russo-Japanese War

Mike Cox
08 Aug 06, 17:33
Now that I have your attention :D (since Distant Guns is far and away the most visited folder since it's release), maybe it is time for one of the ever popular Where Next? Polls.

As always, I pull for WW1 (comprehensive), Med Front WW2, and a British/Empire WW2

Joao Lima
08 Aug 06, 18:43
You scared me , I though we were going to have a Russo-Japanese war SB, more boring theme I cannot think of...

I would go for WW3 (NATO-Warsaw Pact) which seems to be in the works, Desert/Mediterranean WW2 (Crete/Malta/Tunis/Kasserine/Greece...), Spanish Civil War (I see potential on this one...).

FastPhil
08 Aug 06, 21:50
I would like to see a SB Tunisia, SB Bloody Boot(Italy), SB Winter War SB Reforger, SB Fall of France :clown:

rahamy
09 Aug 06, 07:48
...SB Reforger...

Forgive my ignorance, but what would this cover?

TheBigRedOne
09 Aug 06, 13:07
I've always said that a modern game would be interesting, maybe a combination of a lot of 'little wars'. Soviet/Afghan, Grenada, Panama, maybe a 'Black Hawk Down" Somalia scenario. Hypothetical situaitons like Invasion of Cuba, or even Latin American type conflicts in Honduras, Nicaragua, etc....

Have also been really enjoying ES of late, wouldn't mind seeing another WWII game come out.

dje
09 Aug 06, 14:14
A complete game on the entire battle of Tarawa. You could have several scenarios, red beach, black beach, taking the command bunker. But the meat and potatoes would be the grand capaign where you play as colonel shoup and you land 10,000 troops to take the entire island

rahamy
09 Aug 06, 16:51
10,000 men per side, at the squad level!!?? No one would ever play it...very few have played the 1,000+ man per side game I put together for SBV:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=340

Just too many counters and too slow of a movement pace. :OHNO:

Joao Lima
09 Aug 06, 17:41
One of the biggest problems with those battles, especially with 288 turns, is the supply of the units as you know, it makes it nearly impossible to play...

Mike Cox
10 Aug 06, 22:25
A complete game on the entire battle of Tarawa. You could have several scenarios, red beach, black beach, taking the command bunker. But the meat and potatoes would be the grand capaign where you play as colonel shoup and you land 10,000 troops to take the entire island

Well the potential exists already. Just takes someone with a passion for WW2 Pacific combat and time. The map exists in Pacific War or Proud and the Few. The component oob's are there to be stitched together.

You could do linked scenarios, tally your victories and see who wins. It would be an excellent candidate for the use of the EAW/Nap/ACW campaign system.

However, it also is a potential for a SB campaign. Take a company commander through the invasion. Or start out as a lower level leader and take more responsibility in later scenarios.

I have also tinkered with converting some ASL scenarios from Blood Reef Tarawa. Several at various stages of completeness.

FastPhil
10 Aug 06, 22:41
Forgive my ignorance, but what would this cover?

It was the name of a US(NATO) Warplan to be used in case of a Soviet(WP) invasion of Western Europe. Basically I was calling for a modern battles game of the same period as FG85 and NGP85.

dje
10 Aug 06, 22:59
Ive have looked at that map n PF. It is a pretty damn good replica. I also have the 76 hour map from the book Bloody Tarawa. This shows where every gun/bunker emplacement was and every weapon/mg/cannon/aa was located. But as previuosly sated, it would probably (ok definitely) take a real long time and of course the weapons would be at 50% in a couple turns.

I do like the idea of a linked campaign with you moving through the ranks though.

Mike Cox
11 Aug 06, 20:35
Right, but SB scenarios are small chunks of time. (There is no way to regain fatigue or combat losses either unlike EAW/Nap/ACW series games.) 76 hours equates to 912 hours.

24 hour games are not SB fodder. I like 45-90 minute games best. They seem to fit the system well. +/- time for maneuver and I like maneuver.

If you really are that sadistic/masochistic you could try listing individual weapons in the oob and bringing them on as reinforcements. Drop them in depots and away you go.

Gary McClellan
11 Aug 06, 22:36
Actually, while I know you'd be a bit limited in scenarios, I'm still going to campaign for Arab/Israeli Wars. Yeah, the system doesn't do well with armor vs armor, and a great deal of those wars were armor oriented, but think

1948: Largely an Infantry war, so lots of scenarios.
1956: Not as familiar, so no comment
1967: Jerusalem
1973: Chinese Farm, the defense of the border forts on both frontiers

So, there are plenty of viable scenarios, even if you don't go for tank vs tank.

eric karcher
12 Aug 06, 03:46
Rich

I have played that 288 turn game twice.I really enjoyed it. I still would like to see some bazooka teams in it,and a way to combine smaller 2-3 man squads into 1 big squad.

As for the tarawa battle i would play if someone makes it.

and i would play a iwo jima,guadacanal campaign game also if they are ever made. Yes i am sick like that.:nuts:

Also there needs to be a way to resupply in those long scenarios.

oh for my wish list banana wars and ww1 trench warfare.