PDA

View Full Version : Books?

Mike Cox
25 May 06, 13:45
Inspired by a thread at Panzer Campaigns, I thought I would ask for book recommendations for SB level actions. Either for current titles or ones you would like to see in the future.

dje
25 May 06, 15:41
For the vietnam SB you have, we were soldiers once....and young. The mission the book is based on is in the game or avail for download{cant remember]. A movie also with the same title is avail on dvd

For the Proud and the Few SB you have, With the old breed. A scenario about crossing the airfield at Peleliu is in the book and game. The best personnel account of battle ever published

Also for The Proud and the Few, Utmost Savagery. The book is about the Betio island invasion. The scenario in the game is Red Beach. This book is a historical account of the three day battle and also reads like a novel with personnel soldiers insight.
The book also tells the story of Marine sniper Dean Hawkins CMOH awardee. His platoon is the first to land in the scenario and you can reenact his gallantry in action.

In Tour of Duty you have a movie and book about the prison camp raid scenario. I cant remember the titles, the movie is only a year old. I think its called The Great Raid

For Tour of Duty and Proud and the Few you have the book Touched With Fire which is about US and British battles in the south Pacific

For Proud and the Few you have the book and the movie Guadalcanal Diary

lezgo killemall
25 May 06, 19:07
For the vietnam SB you have, we were soldiers once....and young. The mission the book is based on is in the game or avail for download{cant remember]. A movie also with the same title is avail on dvd

an EXCELLENT suggestion. havent played the squad battles version of this one, but as far as the book goes, you will want that over the movie (or as well as) as the movie stops after the 1st battle, but there is another major battle that takes place shortly after it that is in the book.

Mike Cox
26 May 06, 01:02
Vietnam era -
Ripcord: Screaming Eagles Under Siege (of course I then wished the maps were just a hair bigger)
Steel My Soldier's Hearts (David Hackworth and the 4th/39th Infantry)
First Battle: Operation Starlite (ditto the bigger map wish)
Brown Water, Black Berets
We Were Soldiers Once
Street Without Joy (on the French Involvement)

WW2
Monte Cassino: The Hardest Fought Battle of WW2
Tiger Ace (Michael Wittmann)
It Never Snows in September (German view of MG)
Carlson's Raid
A Bridge Too Far
Invasion! They're Coming! (German view of Normandy)

WW1
Knight's Cross (Rommel Biography)
1915: Death of Innocence

I know some of these are bigger than tactical, but they dip down to tactical level with various vignettes.

Mike Cox
26 May 06, 01:05
The Mel Gibson movie was pretty good, moving at times. But it did stop about 2/3 of the way through. They still had a lot more to do to get out when the movie ended (horribly I thought).

Wodin
26 May 06, 07:10
Infantry Aces is a great book.

TheBigRedOne
26 May 06, 12:43
For the Proud and the Few SB you have, With the old breed. A scenario about crossing the airfield at Peleliu is in the book and game. The best personnel account of battle ever published

This was a fantastic and downright scary book. Anyone who thinks that combat is glorious needs to read this book.