PDA

View Full Version : Looking for volunteers...

Leftie
09 May 06, 02:04
..to assist with tutorials designed to help new players of the Napoleonic/EAW games learn the subtleties of the system.

I have an idea floating around in my head but I need one or two solid volunteers to help make this a reality.

Here is what I am thinking. What if we had a series of user created scenarios designed with specific learning objectives in mind? We could write out step by step walkthroughs for some of these that would guide new players through the scenarios.

We could start out with a simple scenario using only infantry. In the scenario we could show the new player how to effectively use the different formations. If we did this right, we would be able to demonstrate the strengths and weaknesses of formations.

For the next one we could add cavalry and give some examples of ways to utilize them effectively.

The intent here, is to progressively add more complexity to the tutorials untill the new players felt confident enough to tackle a larger scenario.

As you can see, I don't have a solid outline formulated yet, but I think that if other people showed interest, we could collectively come up with a solid way to implement this.

Let me know what you all think one way or another. I would really like to do this but the reality of the matter is, there is only so much time in the day and I don't think that I would be able to do this on my own.

Ben

Gary McClellan
09 May 06, 10:07
I'd be willing to help out on the EAW side of things.

ETA: One thing I will suggest, is that in each of the scenarios, we suggest that the player turn On Map Results: OFF.

Once you know the system, the onscreen system is great, but the full dialogue box gives you all sorts of information such as effective strengths, modifiers and the like. Good info to have to learn how the system ticks.

Leftie
09 May 06, 22:44
Good idea Gary. Give me a little time to get some stuff together and we can try to attack this. I am swamped at work right now. Change of Command and a Commanding Generals Inspection all going on in the next two weeks.

Ben

rahamy
10 May 06, 07:21
Ben,

I can help too, though my plate is overflowing as well...so give me an assignment and I'll get it done as soon as I can.

Still have that AAR with Paulo coming too - very close to completion, but he got married lastw eekend and is now away for two weeks...so will be a while longer till we can wrap up the game.