PDA

View Full Version : How are the databases protected?

blond_knight
02 May 06, 18:01
Guys, Im been trying to edit the SB databases for a while and not had any luck. I play just against the AI and I want to do things like increase the lethality of weapon X, or add late war panzers from ES into AOTR. The db's themselves dont look like they have any special protection. It doesnt look like Ive made any syntax errors, they even show up fine in the editor! But as soon as I fire up the AR.EXE for example and try to launch a game it gives me an error reading scenario file error. Is their size hardcoded into the EXE? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Joao Lima
02 May 06, 18:12
Guys, Im been trying to edit the SB databases for a while and not had any luck. I play just against the AI and I want to do things like increase the lethality of weapon X, or add late war panzers from ES into AOTR. The db's themselves dont look like they have any special protection. It doesnt look like Ive made any syntax errors, they even show up fine in the editor! But as soon as I fire up the AR.EXE for example and try to launch a game it gives me an error reading scenario file error. Is their size hardcoded into the EXE? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

If the error is from the 'scenario file' I would say that it is most likely an OOB related thing. More that than a database issue. Does it happen with all the scenario files, or just with some particular ones? Canyou narrow down the potential problem by finding out is only some scenarios are affected , and if so what do they have in common in terms of OOB, weapons databases and so on?...

RedMike
02 May 06, 18:13

The databases are protected, especially in latest patched versions. If you want to alter them you probably have to go back to an earlier patched version of a particular game title that may or may not have been locked down yet.

Regards,
RedMike...out

Joao Lima
02 May 06, 19:09
The databases are protected, especially in latest patched versions. If you want to alter them you probably have to go back to an earlier patched version of a particular game title that may or may not have been locked down yet.

Regards,
RedMike...out

Ohhhhh... I see... No more 'Africa at War' mods , at least with latest patches versions... How wise, good sales strategy...

RedMike
02 May 06, 19:21
Ohhhhh... I see... No more 'Africa at War' mods , at least with latest patches versions... How wise, good sales strategy...

That's about the gist of it.

blond_knight
02 May 06, 20:34
Ohhhhh... I see... ... How wise, good sales strategy...

Thats what I was afraid of... and the strategy that infuriates me. The ATF, RT, TSATC guys, aka 'Prosimco' say in their manuals that they feel obligated to allow the user to access and alter every aspect of the game that the customer has paid for.
Dont get me wrong, I love SB and Panzer Campaigns, but to deny the customer the ability to make changes to values that in board games like ASL we've done through 'house rules' for years is bull.

RedMike
02 May 06, 22:38
Thats what I was afraid of... and the strategy that infuriates me. The ATF, RT, TSATC guys, aka 'Prosimco' say in their manuals that they feel obligated to allow the user to access and alter every aspect of the game that the customer has paid for.
Dont get me wrong, I love SB and Panzer Campaigns, but to deny the customer the ability to make changes to values that in board games like ASL we've done through 'house rules' for years is bull.

You're not alone, brother. In the end I think it's a counter-productive policy and that's that for that...

Joao Lima
03 May 06, 04:32
You're not alone, brother. In the end I think it's a counter-productive policy and that's that for that...

Which also might back-fire on this case... No new games and the old ones being locked up... Well that surely means that HPS is quite happy with the sales they manage to get from SB and can even go the extra mile and risk to alienate that half dozen mod maniacs :laugh: out there without compromising the solid gamers base they must surely have for SB... :devil:

Wodin
03 May 06, 07:06
If in every release they the added a substantial bit to the engine then I see no harm in letting modders goto work or giving them the ability to create new maps.

Its counter productive not to.

Joao Lima
03 May 06, 14:21
If in every release they the added a substantial bit to the engine then I see no harm in letting modders goto work or giving them the ability to create new maps.

Its counter productive not to.

Ah well... I can see the point in PzC and MdC for not having a map editor, or even to lock the databases, but quite honestly in SB I really fail to see the point.

Quoting rahamy 'We're working on it...and listening to the community...that's all I can say.', so I have to say that to lock the databases is a nonsense.

Joao Lima
14 May 06, 15:44
Does someone know if this database protected thing is also turned on for Eagles Strike 1.02, therefore making it impossible to play the European Add-on ?

(If this is the case is one of the stupidiest things I've ever faced in PC games...)

rahamy
18 May 06, 13:47

Regards,
RedMike...out

See my post in the Eagles Strike thread, as the above is incorrect. :smoke:

Leftie
19 May 06, 04:32
For those too lazy to look at the other thread.

I spoke with John about this and the only game that is locked in this way of the whole series is Advance of the Reich, and that only because we plan on publishing a game to cover the end of the war.

The issue is the relationship between the three dat files, where you have to have mutually supporting entries in each to get the new types working within the game. Its not easy, hence the assumption of them being locked.

RedMike
22 May 06, 22:15
See my post in the Eagles Strike thread, as the above is incorrect. :smoke:

Actually I was specifically referring to AotR and generally speaking about possibly others. The latest AotR is definitely protected as per Rich's post.

RedMike...out :lier:

meade95
20 Jun 06, 22:16
So do I have this correct - If I've patched Tour ot Duty to the newest version 1.3

I cannot edit any of the weapon values?

rahamy
20 Jun 06, 22:18
No, that is not correct. The lack of editing ability only applies to Advance of the Reich.

meade95
20 Jun 06, 23:55
No, that is not correct. The lack of editing ability only applies to Advance of the Reich.

So I can edit the values of weapons within Tour of Duty?

If so how?

Thanks

RedMike
20 Jun 06, 23:56
So do I have this correct - If I've patched Tour ot Duty to the newest version 1.3

I cannot edit any of the weapon values?

I just ran a test of ToD v1.3 for you and it seems to work fine. Just remember you need to change both the weapons file and the loads file too if you add new stuff. That is they must correspond with each other. Have fun!

meade95
21 Jun 06, 00:06
I just ran a test of ToD v1.3 for you and it seems to work fine. Just remember you need to change both the weapons file and the loads file too if you add new stuff. That is they must correspond with each other. Have fun!

How do I go about opening the Weapons file and Loads file? - Via notepad? Or do I have to use...like a CKRename software?? (and then change it to a txt. file?)

Well I did the change to txt. (and then opened the weapons.dat file via notepad).

For example shows 18-3-1 0-25-1 CAR-15
5.56 CAR

What is the 0-25-1 values for??

Where do I edit the reliability value?

I think I figured the reliability deal out....it is the second value?? Correct the "3" is the reliability factor -

But what does the 0-25-1 represent? (I'm guessing the 25 is related to what picture shows up?)

rahamy
21 Jun 06, 08:51
You can just open the files with Notepad.

I would suggest holding off doing this for the time being though. We currently are testing a new editor John created that will allow you to edit all three Dat files at once in a GUI format, which will make life much easier. Not sure when it will be released, but its worth waiting for.

Mike Cox
21 Jun 06, 14:22
Also, if you change values, you need to give your opponent copies of your dat files. If you are using different files, at best the files won't load. At worst you could inadvertantly be giving yourself an unfair advantage or disadvantage.

Joao Lima
21 Jun 06, 15:18
You can just open the files with Notepad.

I would suggest holding off doing this for the time being though. We currently are testing a new editor John created that will allow you to edit all three Dat files at once in a GUI format, which will make life much easier. Not sure when it will be released, but its worth waiting for.

Now , those are excellent news!

RedMike
21 Jun 06, 16:52
Dat file gui editor, how cool is that ??

:bite:

RedMike...out

rahamy
21 Jun 06, 17:02
Attached is a screen shot to give you an idea of what I mean...

Joao Lima
21 Jun 06, 17:25

hmmmm... sweet....

RedMike
21 Jun 06, 19:00

Very cool!!

:smoke: