PDA

View Full Version : A comparison?

KG_RangerBooBoo
31 Mar 06, 23:02
I haven't gotten any of these games yet as I've been enjoying the Combat Mission series. Can someone compare/contrast this series with Combat Mission and Steel Panthers?

Joao Lima
01 Apr 06, 11:40
I haven't gotten any of these games yet as I've been enjoying the Combat Mission series. Can someone compare/contrast this series with Combat Mission and Steel Panthers?

In my opinion, the feeling you get is a completely different one, specially regarding Combat Mission. Not only you have loads of less options for moving/firing, but also it's everything in plain 2d. I enjoy more squad battles though as I never really got around the 3d graphics of combat mission.

Think of it as a squad level Panzer Campaigns...

Dr Zaius
01 Apr 06, 13:08
It feels very different than Combat Mission. In many respects it really does seem like a squad level version of Panzer Campaigns. I don't know if it uses the same basic engine architecture or not, but the interface certainly looks very familiar.

Mike Cox
02 Apr 06, 14:34
Well, I only played the demos of the various CM's, but I think SB emphasises leadership more.

While the interface is familiar it is not PzCamp scaled down.

Emphasis is on infantry and infantry weapons so armor and vehicles take a back seat in SB.

You have the choise to fire individual weapons or types of weapons. You learn not to waste ammo in SB.

Joao Lima
02 Apr 06, 15:44
... You learn not to waste ammo in SB.

Mostly because there is no type of supply system... :devil:

Ozgur Budak
02 Apr 06, 17:02
I think taking SB as a scaled down PzC game is one of the main reasons why such numbers of experienced PzC players fail to grasp the SB system. Yes the top down map and unit graphics do look like PzC but game mechanics are totally different than PzC. I, as a long time PzC player had to pass through an "unlearn" process to have fun as a SB player. As far as I observe many PzC players approach SB tactics with their perspective of PzC. Such tactics naturally fail and they get alienated from the game and shell it.