PDA

View Full Version : So as not to hijack the Stalingrad thread - for Wodin (Squad Battles)

Mike Cox
07 Mar 06, 18:39
Is there a SB area here at SZO?

I have been putzing around playing some SB of late, and am curious about what you think SB could use in the way of features.

I have a couple off hand, but what are yours? (Or anyone elses?)

Wodin
07 Mar 06, 19:07
Ok here goes.

I want to see new elements like a campaign system. Somthing like the Stalingrad campiagn over at Task Force Echo but actually built into the engine.

I'd like to see a full review of weapon effectiveness. The Indirect and direct fire weapons need review. Indirect fire seems to have no weight at all. Fire and fire those motars, to what purpose, when 95% of the time there are no results.

I'd like to see a troop modifier for different grades of infantry i.e SS more powerfull than volkstrum etc etc.

I'd like to see units surrender. Sometimes Ive had two squads one hex away firing like mad a a single soldier in the open to no avial. I understand he could be hinding behind a curb or something but still.

Mike Cox
07 Mar 06, 19:26
I agree on that mortar point - I often don't bother with the small ones. If they occasionally disrupted or pinned then maybe.

RE: SS vs Volkstrum - I think there is SS often rated high in the A quality (which may not always be appropriate but it is wargaming tradition) and Volksturm D or lower. Combined with like rated leaders makes SS powerful. I think they receive batter load outs too.

Surrender could be useful I agree. I need to go take a look at the Stalingrad campaign at TFE4. Have they made more progress on that?

Mike Cox
07 Mar 06, 19:28
Oh two things I would like:

Better handling of snipers (ability to remain concealed in cover - even if they fire)

Open Top vehicles/button up/Crew Exposed AFVs

CJMello
07 Mar 06, 19:42
Is there a SB area here at SZO?

I have been putzing around playing some SB of late, and am curious about what you think SB could use in the way of features.

I have a couple off hand, but what are yours? (Or anyone elses?)

No SB area. I asked awhile ago but who knows what he future holds.

Lucas Kling
08 Mar 06, 05:36
No SB area. I asked awhile ago but who knows what he future holds.

I too asked about it awhile ago and the response I got was that they need someone to take care of it, and it's not just maintaining a board section, it was more to it. So if anyone is interested and have time, I would suggest contacting Rich Hamilton (Rahamy) since he was the one I talked to regarding the matter.

Would be nice to have a SB section.

rahamy
08 Mar 06, 07:00
I too would like to see a SB section, at least a set of forums and WARS support, but the standard we are trying to set here at SZO is if we're going to do something, we're going to do it right. And that means having at least one person, but preferably two, who can be a driving force behind the section. If we just put up a set of forus and let it alone, things will stagnate.

So, consider this an official call for vounteers! I would be willing to lend "back room" support, in the way of answering admin questions for the guy(s) running the section, helping with forum/ladder maintenance, etc. But I can't be the primary party, as I have the CWB section to run, plus help on the Nap & PZC sections as well.

Anyone interested? :cheeky:

Joao Lima
08 Mar 06, 17:24

Quite honestly we have already been over that topic, and even though there were good ideas, the fact remains that SB seem to be put on the freezer for now, so...

rahamy
08 Mar 06, 17:45
It's not in the freezer anymore. :cool:

Joao Lima
09 Mar 06, 16:49
It's not in the freezer anymore. :cool:

That meaning?...

rahamy
09 Mar 06, 17:15
That the series is actively moving forward...you know I can't share any more than that. :smoke:

CJMello
09 Mar 06, 18:31
I too would like to see a SB section, at least a set of forums and WARS support, but the standard we are trying to set here at SZO is if we're going to do something, we're going to do it right. And that means having at least one person, but preferably two, who can be a driving force behind the section. If we just put up a set of forus and let it alone, things will stagnate.

So, consider this an official call for vounteers! I would be willing to lend "back room" support, in the way of answering admin questions for the guy(s) running the section, helping with forum/ladder maintenance, etc. But I can't be the primary party, as I have the CWB section to run, plus help on the Nap & PZC sections as well.

Anyone interested? :cheeky:

I volunteer Jesse.

rahamy
09 Mar 06, 19:02
Its my understanding that he just made a job change, and it's requiring a lot of his time...so I doubt he'll be able to do that. :bandit:

CJMello
09 Mar 06, 19:14
Ya, I just heard. I then volunteer JC.

Wodin
09 Mar 06, 19:23
RE: SS vs Volkstrum - I think there is SS often rated high in the A quality (which may not always be appropriate but it is wargaming tradition) and Volksturm D or lower. Combined with like rated leaders makes SS powerful. I think they receive batter load outs too.

Not good enough at the moment.

Here is a cut and paste taken from Task Force Echo on how a proposed change would be implimented.

"Troop Quality Modifier (Optional Rule) ... Much like the Panzer Campaigns Series rule of the same nature, Squad battles may soon offer an optional rule that applies a bonus modifier to troops based on their quality. A troops will receive a 20% bonus to fire, assault and movement rates, B troops may receive a 10% in these aspects and C morale will be used as the base. Troops of lower caliber would suffer penalties starting at -10% for D, -20% for E, and -30% for F morale."

This would be great.