PDA

View Full Version : Dialup annoyance

kbluck
01 Oct 03, 01:09
Whenever I start any ATF application on a computer with only dialup internet access, the dialup dialog pops. If I dismiss it, a few seconds later it starts dialing anyway without asking for permission. This irritates my wife intensely when she's on the phone. Any software issue that annoys wives is automatically designated a fatal bug in my book.

As an added bonus, if you try to do much of anything before dismissing the dialog, the whole thing crashes. Also, even if you do dismiss the dialogs, the process won't end when you close it by any normal means and has to be forcibly terminated using Task Manager --- although if you wait long enough it'll crash all by itself eventually.

Can we hold off on the network activity until the player tries to start up multiplayer mode?

Thanks,

--- Kevin

Pat Proctor
01 Oct 03, 22:31
This is actually the first time I have ever heard this bug report :crosseye:

There is no covert internet activity going on here. The application is checking to see if there are any patches or upgrades available, as well as updating the links for online help and multiplayer play.

What version of Windows is the crashing occuring on? What is supposed to happen is that, when you refuse to connect, it should shut up and quit trying. This is VERY invasive behavior, and I would DEFINITELY like to crush this bug.

kbluck
02 Oct 03, 11:28
It is Windows 2000 SP4.

One issue that may have some bearing on this is that "sharing" and "dial on demand" is turned on for the connection, since my wife's computer connects to the Internet through mine via a local network, since we only have one phone line.

--- Kevin

Pat Proctor
02 Oct 03, 22:36
I will fire up a Win2K machine and try to recreate the bug. Are you using any particular dialup service like AOL that adds additional "help" to the dial-up process.

kbluck
03 Oct 03, 12:35
No, I'm using only the built-in dialup networking, configured to allow sharing and dial-on-demand on a two-node local network.

--- Kevin