PDA

View Full Version : New Database Ready

kbluck
26 Sep 03, 20:11
I've completed that database which I previewed here a couple of weels ago, at least insofar as such a thing is ever "complete." All the comments I made at that time still apply. See the thread "Database prototype for review" if you're interested.

Due to upload size restrictions, I'm hosting it elsewhere. It's about 1.2MB zipped. You can download it here:

http://www.netce.com/atf/kbDataModern.zip

Bug reports, comments, questions, criticism welcome!

--- Kevin

Rob Carpenter
27 Sep 03, 00:21
Thanks for that Kevin, I'll have a good look :)

Pat should we add to this to create a mega ATF database, or will that caus memory/performance issues?

Cheers

Rob

Deltapooh
27 Sep 03, 08:15
Very nice work kbluck. One interesting thing I noted was that you used only twenty-four frames for a number of your pieces. Was there a problem you noted, or maybe you feel 36 tiles are not necessary?

I have a number of pieces I can post up if you guys like. They include (thus far), the M996, M1069, M1037, and M1097 HMMWVs, friendly mortar team, revised two-man fire team (the first was hard to plan paths for), M270 MLRS, M985 HEMTT w. M989A1 HEMAT, and several NATO symbols.

Pat Proctor
27 Sep 03, 11:49
Right now, the database loads every image in the database, so a megdatabase may cause issues on lower memory computers. A code change so that only needed graphics are loaded is in the works.

Rob Carpenter
27 Sep 03, 22:27
Thanks Pat. What is your preference, a mega database or several smaller more focussed ones?

Cheers

Rob

Pat Proctor
28 Sep 03, 11:22
Once the code changes are made to support a support discresionary loading of graphics, a mega-database is preferable, as it is easier for new scenario builders to work with.

kbluck
29 Sep 03, 11:35
I've made a minor update; it seems I missed a couple of sound files in the initial ZIP. You should download again if you are getting messages about missing sound files.

One interesting thing I noted was that you used only twenty-four frames for a number of your pieces. Was there a problem you noted, or maybe you feel 36 tiles are not necessary?

I think 24 15-degree intervals is plenty, it's 33% less memory, and it also gives you a true 45 degree rotation which the 10-degree intervals do not.

Pat should we add to this to create a mega ATF database, or will that caus memory/performance issues?

Although there may be scalability issues, there is unfortunately really no good way around the mega-database. The internal storage format prohibit the casual shuffling of entries, and the tools don't make it easy to pick and choose from individual elements that might be of interest. By the same token, the weapons database makes no distinction between the weapon and its ammunition for direct fire weapons, and so it becomes necessary to generate and choose between completely new weapons whenever there is a change to the ammunition that significantly modifies performance or a platform that shoots the same ordnance in a different way. The most egregious examples of this are in the AT guided missiles; some of them generated 8-10 variants. I tried to limit variants to those with a significant difference in game-simulated performance, but even so they still added up.

Some things are just impossible with the database as is; for example, the US can fire different TOW missiles from the same M220 launcher, and the Russians can fire both the AT-4 and AT-5 missiles in any combination from their launcher, but the database makes you choose just one missile type for a given weapon.

It would be much easier to generate small, scenario specific databases out of a mega-repository with either or both of two new features in the Power Tools:

1. A multi-selectable 'append' feature, where you can pick multiple elements from one database and add only those to another;

2. A multi-selectable 'delete' feature.

Without those, it is a hideously monotonous procedure to winnow down unwanted entries.

I have a number of pieces I can post up if you guys like. They include (thus far), the M996, M1069, M1037, and M1097 HMMWVs, friendly mortar team, revised two-man fire team (the first was hard to plan paths for), M270 MLRS, M985 HEMTT w. M989A1 HEMAT, and several NATO symbols.

If you like, please post them and with your permission I'll be pleased to incorporate them into the database.

--- Kevin

kbluck
01 Oct 03, 13:04
Another minor update.

I've incorporated some graphic pieces that DeltaPooh was kind enough to provide, as well as changing the HMMWV TOW missile carrier to mount the TOW launcher as a turret.

--- Kevin