PDA

View Full Version : New ATF Game Announced

KG_Norad
25 Sep 03, 10:49
Hey everybody Shrapnel Games has announced the next ATF installment!
Raging Tiger: The Second Korean War!

Here is the link to the Sept. 23 press release: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/pressreleases.htm

A small excerpt: "Some of these upgrades include the ability to conduct amphibious operations, improved infantry mechanics, and new weather effects to fully take advantage of the uniqueness of Korea."

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Be sure to check out the press release for more on whats new!

Raging Tiger: The Second Korean War is being designed by Curt D. Pangracs, a twenty-year Army veteran with tours in Germany, Korea, and the States.

Looks like this is going to be great addition to the ATF family! :D

TF-M

Deltapooh
25 Sep 03, 12:23
I'm glad to see ProSim is expanding ATF. Curt Pangracs did a nice job on adding NATO symbols to ATF after the release of the power tools. I'm certain he'll make a great game. I had thought about the North Korean theater myself in recent days. It's certainly a place to generate some good scenarios for the game.

Black Moria
25 Sep 03, 14:37
To clarify - its not a ATF expansion. It is an entirely new game that uses the ATF game engine.

Pat Proctor
25 Sep 03, 15:26
Just to clarify a little bit, here are some additional tidbits on the release.

We are maintaining backwards compatibility with ATF. That means that, while Scenarios built with and for Raging Tiger will not neccessarily run in ATF, scenarios built for, and using the ATF Scenario Builder/Power Toolkit will run in Raging Tiger.
Raging Tiger is a standalone game. You do not have to own ATF to play it.
Raging Tiger is built on the foundation of the ATF engine. Players of this game will have a smooth transition to Raging Tiger. But it DOES add a number of enhancements and game play elements that ATF did not have.
We will continue to provide full support for both ATF and BCT Commander. We are abandoning NEITHER of these releases!
Air Assault Task Force is STILL under development. We have not "put this on the back burner". Raging Tiger is being built by a seperate development team (let by Curt Pangracs), with some coding support from the ATF team. But Air Assault Task Force is still alive and well and in development.
Stay tuned for more release anouncements;).

kbluck
25 Sep 03, 19:47
Raging Tiger is built on the foundation of the ATF engine. Players of this game will have a smooth transition to Raging Tiger. But it DOES add a number of enhancements and game play elements that ATF did not have.

... which brings up the followup question: will such enhancements eventually also make it into the base ATF product as a patch?

--- Kevin

Redwolf
27 Sep 03, 16:51
Aehm,

I cannot find anything ont he link above. The newest press release I see is from Aug 21.

I didn't find anything on prosimco either.

Is this supposed to be available soon? ANybody got a link or two?

Pat Proctor
27 Sep 03, 17:05
KB,

The enhancements to the ATF Engine will be Raging Tiger-specific. They will not be backwards engineered to also patch ATF. For instance, since we are adding amphibious capabilities and vehicle carrying capabilities to Raging Tiger, and these are specifically to support things in Raging Tiger scenarios, we will not be patching ATF to support these capabilities as well.

I DO want to emphasize 2 things:

1. We are not abandoning ATF or BCT Commander! We do, and will continue to, provide FULL support for these products.
2. Raging Tiger WILL support all of your ATF scenarios, both those that ship with ATF, and any built with the ATF Scenario Builder and ATF Power Toolkit.

KG_Norad
27 Sep 03, 18:37
Redwolf I just tried the link and it works on my pc. It should open a browser window directly to the press release. Shrapnel is or was (not sure) doing server maintenance that effected their forums, perhaps when you tried to connect their press release page wasn,t working right. :confused:

Should work fine now.

Redwolf
27 Sep 03, 19:04
Redwolf I just tried the link and it works on my pc. It should open a browser window directly to the press release. Shrapnel is or was (not sure) doing server maintenance that effected their forums, perhaps when you tried to connect their press release page wasn,t working right. :confused:

Should work fine now.

Works now.

Jun 2004. Doh.

Well, just ordered ATF instead :)

KG_Norad
27 Sep 03, 19:33
>Well, just ordered ATF instead

I don't think there is a better game out right now that imparts the feeling that one is taking part in a true tactical excercise rather then just playing a game. :D