PDA

View Full Version : Waterloo

Rick
03 Jan 06, 13:20
When playing the French what's the best strategy for getting accross the river to Charleroi? I tried to steam roll my way through but I ended up shattering two Young Guard brigades.

Also, should I even bother to play against the AI in the Large Fixed Scenario?

Rick

Sgt_Rock
03 Jan 06, 14:36
I would wait or try and cross upstream from the bridge. This happened in a MP game I am in. The YG were shattered on the Prussian brigades - though I lost alot of Prussians doing it.

rahamy
05 Jan 06, 06:53
Bring your artillery up and start pounding on the Prussians...they can only stand it so long...

Rick
05 Jan 06, 09:04
I guess the artillery bombardment would take about as long as counter marching everything to another crossing. Of course, the Fr would have either heavily screen the artillery or secure the south side of the town (common sense).

Before I play with someone with brains I would like to play out a few scenarios against the AI. Should I bother (how good is the AI), or should I just jump into it. Right now, my competency level is about 3 on a scale of 10.

Rick

Reiryc
05 Jan 06, 13:08
I guess the artillery bombardment would take about as long as counter marching everything to another crossing. Of course, the Fr would have either heavily screen the artillery or secure the south side of the town (common sense).

Before I play with someone with brains I would like to play out a few scenarios against the AI. Should I bother (how good is the AI), or should I just jump into it. Right now, my competency level is about 3 on a scale of 10.

Rick

AI isn't very competent (but what AI is?) but it will provide you with something to get comfortable with.

I haven't played waterloo in a while and after reading this post I fired up the 388 turn monster to give it a go. While my forces were moving up to charleroi, the prussians on the other side of a bridge (the right handed one of the 2 in charleroi) had 2 infantry units occupying the same hex right behind the bridge. I had no cavalry within 8 hexes (they can't charge across a bridge anyways) but for some reason, one of the infantry units forms square, thus disrupting both units. It's things like this that you'll see from the AI on occasion.

If you're comfortable with moving units around, then playing against a person is fine and the best way to learn imo.

rahamy
05 Jan 06, 20:21
I'd agree, if you have the basics of the system down them jump in to a game with another person. Don't worry about winning or losing, just take the time to hone your skills...

Pirimeister
05 Jan 06, 20:30
And do make sure you're current with all the rules regarding bridge destruction and reparing...

Yep, I'm still traumatized... :argh:

Jim Cobb
05 Jan 06, 21:59
I'll go a step father: only playing the AI can teach you bad habits.

Rick
06 Jan 06, 08:45
Thanks guys. Matrimonial oversight permitting, I may be requesting an opponent Saturday.

Leftie
06 Jan 06, 09:04
Thanks guys. Matrimonial oversight permitting, I may be requesting an opponent Saturday.

Heh,

Well if you need an opponent, there are plenty of people of all skill levels that hang around the boards.

dannybou
06 Jan 06, 10:11
And do make sure you're current with all the rules regarding bridge destruction and reparing...

Yep, I'm still traumatized... :argh:

:D :D Is this aimed at me Paulo????????? :D :D

dannybou
06 Jan 06, 10:12

If you need an opponent, give me a shout. I've just competed a few PzC's.

Pirimeister
07 Jan 06, 17:19
:D :D Is this aimed at me Paulo????????? :D :D

I'm not sure... :whist:

What I'm sure of is that I'm affraid to open you last pbem file... :laugh: :laugh: