PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry Formations

Rick
25 Dec 05, 13:29
I tried to search to see if this had been dealt with on the forum, but I couldn't find anything.

In the game cavalry has only one formation, column, even when you break them down into squadrons. I was curious as to why cavalry cannot be put into a line formation. Or, if it can, how?

Rick

KG_RangerBooBoo
25 Dec 05, 17:29
Yep, there is only one formation for cavalry. I don't think there is a need for any other formation except when charging and you could say that is represented by selecting the charge option.

Rick
26 Dec 05, 09:10
Thanks RBB. Having digested so many complex miniature rules, where 15 mins of battlefield time actuall took you about 2 hours of play to resolve everything that need to be resolved, I find it hard to wrap my mind around it the more simplier aspects of a more functional rules system.

Still, where a cav regt can be broken down into squadrons it would be nice to be able to put 'em in line (or extended line). For what reason I don't know. On second thought, perhaps it's better left untouched.

Thanks again.

Rick

rahamy
26 Dec 05, 13:22
Hey Rick,

Just a thought, but if you want a regiment to go into line you can effectively do so by breaking it down into squadrons and then occupying adjacent hexes...serves the same purpose, less unit density per hex covering a wider front...

Regards,
Rich

Rick
26 Dec 05, 19:47
I actually did that when I was testing the options, parameters of the game, etc. It served its purpose, but doesn't look that great in the 2d mode. (small potatoes).

I am enjoying the game, especially the large fixed scenario, where you command some corps and allow others to be commanded by the AI. In a couple of weeks I'll be asking someone to plan via email.

Rick

Leftie
26 Dec 05, 20:26
Rick,

PBEM is one of the best things about the series. I am having a blast playing in the Waterloo tourney we have going right now. The folks around here are of all skill and experience levels. So don't be afraid to ask for an opponent. I get my butt handed to me on a regular basis but still manage to have a great time.

Ben