PDA

View Full Version : Facing

Sol Invictus
16 Dec 05, 13:30
Has any thought ever been given to making a unit's facing oriented toward the hex edge instead of the apex? I'm sure this has been discussed by the developers but I have never heard any rationale. It seems it would be better to have the unit face the hex edge since this is the direction of travel. I realize that since the hex grid dictates the movement path, it can't be completely realistic, and this hex grid also determines facing and arc of fire. But why doesn't a unit face the hex edge and have a slightly wider arc of fire; forward, left and right hexes, instead of the current two. It just looks weird when you are forming a line of units, to have them facing left and right on down your line. Of course this isn't a problem when moving diagonally since the hexgrid works in the favor of the dressing of your line. Just curious why the facing was made at the apex instead of the hex edge. It seems to be like this in all games that have unit facing. Is it because it is determined to give a unit to great an arc of fire?

Alex Krolikowsk
18 Dec 05, 06:12
Has any thought ever been given to making a unit's facing oriented toward the hex edge instead of the apex? I'm sure this has been discussed by the developers but I have never heard any rationale.

Well, maybe because each series must have its own unique features. The way of facing you propose is in American Civil War Battles games. If you ever get any ACW game be sure to visit our section ;)

Sol Invictus
18 Dec 05, 12:47
I ownwd BG Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Antietam years ago and guess I will return to some of the Civil War Campaign games soon. I have seen a couple of screenshots of the new Civil War titles and noticed that the facing of the units was oriented toward the hex edge. I really wish that could be done with the Napoleonic games. What is the best Civil War title to get first in your opinion? I'm leaning toward Shiloh.

KG_RangerBooBoo
18 Dec 05, 13:11
Don't have Shiloh but Gettysburg is my favorite. Big maps with lots of room for maneuver with varying terrain and it's the ANV and the AoP. More scenarios then you can probably ever play and some fairly dynamic campaign trees that can lead to some surprising battles. Saying that though, if you have a favorite battle of campaign covered by HPS then you can't hardly go wrong with choosing it.

Alex Krolikowsk
18 Dec 05, 16:36
What is the best Civil War title to get first in your opinion? I'm leaning toward Shiloh.

All of the games are very good - simply go for your favorite campaign. I would suggest to pick Gettysburg or Shiloh depending on your interest.
Gettysburg is a great game but you must know that scenarios are either very large or too small. The scenario selection in Shiloh is much better.

Here is a review of Shiloh game posted recently at SZO:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/articles.php?p=549&page=1

Leftie
18 Dec 05, 18:31
Ok I see how it is! Civil War Battles' don't have enough members so they come to the Napoleonic Section and try to steal our guys. BACK! BACK OFF I tell Ya! This one here is our! :laugh: :D :rolleyes:

In all seriousness. I have a few of the Civil War Battles titles as well and enjoy them immensely,

Ben

Sol Invictus
19 Dec 05, 00:58
Don't worry Leftie, while I like the ACW, Napoleonics will always be my favorite. I'm surprised that Ozark and Shiloh were done before more famous battles, such as Antietam, Second Manasass, and Chancellorsville. I guess I will Gettysbug first, but first I need to exhaust Waterloo, NRC, First Blitzkrieg, and probably French and Indian War.