PDA

View Full Version : New Ground

Rick
11 Dec 05, 21:43
I just got word that the game I ordered, Campaign Waterloo, was shipped on Friday. That means I'l get it sometime this week (hopefully). I have also convinced a friend of mine to or order it also. This means I need to prepare for battle (big time).

For those of you who have patience please let me know who you are. I look forward to gaming with you to expand my knowledge of the game. Of course, I expect to loose the first few games I play. My goal is not so much to win, butto not loose badly (if you know what I mean).

I would like to start off with Quatra Bras. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Rick

Sol Invictus
12 Dec 05, 00:39
I ordered Waterloo and it was shipped on the 5th but I haven't gotten it yet. I am expecting it tommorrow, hopefully. After I get to know this old friend; played BG Waterloo years ago; I will be up for some action. I can send several emails per day and quite a few every other weekend. I will give you a yell in a week or so when I am ready to start a game.

Rick
12 Dec 05, 10:47
I look forward to hearing from you . Unfortunately, I no longer work from home. The best I could do would be one email in the evening and several on the weekends.

Rick

Sgt_Rock
12 Dec 05, 18:16
Here are some general tips for the series:

1. Cavarly can run you over quicker than snot. Know the MP rates and note how the weather affects movement.

2. Defending too far forward is going to get you wrapped up and tied up in a bow for Christmas. Avoid getting yourself caught too close to the enemy lines. Pull back if needed to keep your distance. Disordered units move 1/2 rate so remember that. If you are in Line and disordered you are pretty much toast unless you have something to back the unit up with.

3. Note the terrain that disorders each unit type (cavalry and infantry in line). Woods, hedges, etc. Get to know the terrain. There is an option for Line Movement Disorder that you will want to consider. Some dont like it due to the difficulty of defending in the series.

4. Keep your orgs in command control. This helps for Disorder recovery. Cant emphasize this enough. Bonuses passed down from on high help the little guys get back in order.

5. Artillery are not tanks. They get taken rather easily. Protect them. Know their best ranges and keep them afar from the enemy unless you have a ton of units to toss at the other guy.

6. Marching - hey, just click on the lead unit in the chain of units (dont SELECT it). Then right click drag it down the road. All units regardless of org will follow right along down the road. Will save you alot of clicking.

7. Infantry - its rock paper scissors. Line fires best but doesnt move as fast. Also cant negotiate bridges. Dont put infantry in line in villages. They will NOT recover order in a village or woods hex. Marsh for that matter or rough. Columns are best for maneuver. Square for cavalry defense. When a column loses a melee it faces away from the front line. Infantry in line do not. Squares have all around facing but diminished firepower. Probably one of the more frustrating formations for the attacker to face. It falls back with all around facing and will eat up 2-3 battalians in an attack. Artillery is safe within a square from cavalry attacks. Beware the infantry attack on such a hex as the guns die if they are unlimbered, the square loses the melee and you are out the guns. Best to keep them back of the square at least two hexes. Fire through the gaps in the line.

8. Melees - you need to get 2:1 odds normally to win. That is my golden rule. Play the game with the Fog of War OFF for a bit to get used to the combat results. Dont use the On-Map option for combat dialog for a few games until you get used to the numbers game.

9. Fire - its much better to fire at your opponent and wear him down IF you have TIME and MEN. If you are crunched for time a mixture of both will help. Firing on the flank or routed units is best. Firing on a Disordered unit will help it rout. Firing on its flank is better! Artillery has ammo limits but it usually doesnt come into play.

10. Weather rules - this is the first game with weather. Note that it will reduce your movement quite a bit when in effect. We are going to put out a patch that will fix a few minor things later on such as the inability of routed units to move up a contour level during rain, etc. The next game in the series has these issues corrected.

Hope that helps and hope you enjoy Campaign Waterloo!

Leftie
12 Dec 05, 18:49
Congratulations on the purchase! I know you will enjoy the series as much as the rest of us here. We are playing a Waterloo tournament right now here on the W.A.R.S. ladder. If you have anny questions about the series, look up in our articles board or post the messege here on the boards.

I check the site daily and will answer the questions I know answers to as soon as possible.

Ben

Sol Invictus
13 Dec 05, 02:28
Rick, I got my copy today; very excited. After playing computer AIs for years, I am afraid I have probably gotten fat, dumb, and lazy and prone to carelessness; so don't worry about getting slaughtered. I just hope I don't disgrace myself. We can learn the ropes together. I figure one email a day is about standard for most people so that's no problem; I just have lots of free time.

Sgt. Rock, thanks for posting the tips; they should prove useful. I expected Infantry in Line to be problematic in Woods and Towns but didn't think Rough would be a no-no as well. I wish there was a way to place location names on the map permanently. I am sure I will really get much entertainment from this game. I can already see that keeping those Skirmishers alive and out from the horses hooves is going to be a pain; thank God for Towns and Woods. :eek:

rahamy
13 Dec 05, 11:10
You can get the map names to display all the time by pressing the "Alt" key and then hitting "Shift". They will then stay. To remove them just hit the "Shift" key again.

Hope you guys enjoy the game, and look forward to your participation here in the section!

Regards,
Rich

Sol Invictus
13 Dec 05, 14:23
rahamy, thanks so much for that bit of good news; the old boardgamer in me just likes to see location names at all times. I have only scratched the surface so far but this game and enhanced engine has really gotten me excited about playing wargames again. This is a great piece of work! I intend to buy all the Napoleon titles and many of the PzC titles as well. I was really getting in a funk about computer gaming recently, but these HPS titles have rejuvenated me! :joy:

PS I want to print out the Parameter Data and I read that this is in the PDT File but I can't find it to print it out. Where might I find it? I know F2 will access it when in the game but I can't print from there. Thanks.

Lucas Kling
13 Dec 05, 15:10
rahamy, thanks so much for that bit of good news; the old boardgamer in me just likes to see location names at all times. I have only scratched the surface so far but this game and enhanced engine has really gotten me excited about playing wargames again. This is a great piece of work! I intend to buy all the Napoleon titles and many of the PzC titles as well. I was really getting in a funk about computer gaming recently, but these HPS titles have rejuvenated me! :joy:

PS I want to print out the Parameter Data and I read that this is in the PDT File but I can't find it to print it out. Where might I find it? I know F2 will access it when in the game but I can't print from there. Thanks.

Hi! You might wanna look into the Early American War Series as well! Campaign 1776, The French & Indian War and War of 1812 are awesome games! The ladder here supports them and there is also a club that supports the games, so you should have no problems finding opponents.

And about printing parameter data: Just open it in the game through F2 and then right click in the window and choose "Select All". Then right click again and copy. Then just open Word or any text program and Paste. Then print it out.

Rick
13 Dec 05, 15:26
Sgt Rock, Rich, Guys,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I have too many parties to go to this week. I probably won't be able to sit down with the game until Sat. morning.

On the other hand, I'm chafing at the bit to start playing via email.

Rick

Sol Invictus
13 Dec 05, 16:18
Yeah, I remember those days. I use to have so much fun that I can hardly remember much of it. :nuts:

Lucas, thanks for the tip.

Couple more questions have come to mind; can a cavalry unit change facing then be designated for a charge or does any facing change during the turn make the unit unable to charge? The rules just say a facing change can't occur DURING a charge, but what about right before a charge is designated? Also, if a cavalry unit starts its turn adjacent to an enemy unit, can it still melee even though it can't charge because it doesn't actually move. This would of course be a melee without the triple modifier since it is just a regular melee and not a charge. Essentially, I'm asking can a cavalry unit melee without making a charge? If so, it seems it can melee into any hex into which it could normally move without the charge restrictions. So a cavalry unit could melee into a forrest hex as a normal melee? Not recommended of course but is this possible? Thanks.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread as a question forum; hope you don't mind Rick. :)

KG_RangerBooBoo
13 Dec 05, 19:26
Changing facing on cavalry will cost movement points and that will make you unable to charge. This makes it very important to align your cavalry at the end of the turn before you plan to charge. Of course your opponent can sometimes see the cavalry facing and move so as to make a charge impossible. All the more reason to use terrain to mask your units where possible. You can perform a normal melee, into woods, etc., with cavalry but be careful with it as the cost will be high and those cavalry casualties cost some serious points.

rahamy
13 Dec 05, 19:30
Guys,

Make sure and grab the first patch for the game, here:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_NapBats/up_NAPBAT.html

And then also get a copy of the Free Expansion Package, here:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/FreeFiles/List_of_all_download_files.htm#Free%20Files%20Wate rloo

Regards,
Rich

Lucas Kling
13 Dec 05, 20:17
Hmm.. Sol here mentioned something about charging when right next to an enemy unit. Will a charge not give the same bonus if the units are adjacent to eachother?

Sol Invictus
13 Dec 05, 21:53
Thanks Ranger; I definately don't want to make a habit of my cavalry doing the melee dance with Jaegers in the woods; :cry: just wanted to know what the options would be for those nasty surprises. :surprise: Forgot about facing change counting as movement; prior planning neccessary; check. I guess a charge wouldn't be possible if cavalry started next to a unit, as the rules state that the cavalry unit must move during the charge? Does moving into the adjacent hex count as movement in this case, therefore making a charge possible or does the unit need to move before the melee round? I guess a cavalry unit could mount a decent charge at a hundred yards distance, in a pinch, but I'm guessing that a charge would not be allowed in this case.

KG_RangerBooBoo
13 Dec 05, 21:59
I'm not sure on the movement part for the HPS games but I think it must move at least one hex. The ol' Talonsoft games had, I believe, a three hex movement requirement.

rahamy
13 Dec 05, 22:31
See both the "Melee" and "Cavalry Charges" section of the User.hlp manual for more details, but in short the rules state under the Melee section that unit(s) must have MOVED using the Cavalry Charge proceudre, which implies starting at least one hex away from the intended target.

Sol Invictus
14 Dec 05, 00:18
rahamy, thanks for setting that straight. That's the way I thought it was but even after reading the pertinent sections of the rules several times, I didn't have a definite understanding of what was allowed. I now feel confident in my knowledge of the rules and will start a game against the AI tommorrow. This is a very sweet looking game. You can't beat good Napoleonics.