PDA

View Full Version : Moving Indirect Fire

kbluck
05 Sep 03, 12:52
I'm trying to implement bombs and such for fixed wing aircraft. Indirect fire seems to be the only option, since that's the only way to get "area effect". It seems kind of ridiculous to have CBUs and napalm only affect one vehicle per weapon.

The problem, of course, is that moving vehicles apparently can't shoot indirect fire missions, and aircraft can't stop moving mid-path.

My first thought is to suggest a (hopefully minor) change: indirect fire units that are not emplaceable should be able to fire indirect on the move.

Any other suggestions?

--- Kevin

Deltapooh
05 Sep 03, 20:11
Use either the rotor-winged or fixed-winged attributes. Then use low numbers in the time to move and emplace/displace atributes.

I tested the AH-64D Longbow using PGM versions of the HellFire successfully. I don't recall making the AH-64D emplacable, and it still fired as I wanted.

Pat Proctor
06 Sep 03, 11:18
What you really need is a new weapon type that is direct fire but has a burst radius and IF Ammo type like HE or DPICM, correct?

kbluck
08 Sep 03, 11:56
Use either the rotor-winged or fixed-winged attributes. Then use low numbers in the time to move and emplace/displace atributes.

The emplaceability isn't the problem. I can add FDC and leave Emplace off the attributes, and a unit will be ready to fire indirect as soon as it stops. The problem is that aircraft can't stop mid-path like helicopters can, and indirect fire apparently can't ever be fired on the move.

What you really need is a new weapon type that is direct fire but has a burst radius and IF Ammo type like HE or DPICM, correct?

Well, yes. What would be best are weapons that can be used as *both* types interchangeably. For example, the Soviets are notorious for giving their anti-tank guns an indirect fire capability as well. Grenade launchers have certain aspects of both, as well.

Also, I think that *all* weapons should have an area effect, even if its very small, and be capable of killing friendlies in that area. In the case of stuff like bombs and especially ATGMs, there should also be a time of flight, since that can have a major impact on the weapon's effectiveness.

But for the time being, I'd be happy with letting vehicles with no Emplace attribute fire indirect on the move.

In a way, the indirect fire is a good thing for bombs, since it offers a bit of fire control. I wouldn't want aircraft dropping five-hundred-pound Rockeye bombs on the first fire team they happen across. Under the indirect fire model, the aircraft definitely won't release that bomb until you tell it specifically when and where.

Something else to consider for the future is SEAD munitions, in particular ARMs, and ECM. For that matter, even ground units are getting into the ECM game; M2A3 Bradley with its MCM device, for example, and units with laser detectors. And who knows what they're not telling us about yet.

--- Kevin