PDA

View Full Version : Artillery bugs

amrcg
28 Aug 03, 13:22
Dear captain,

I think I have found two bugs.

1) MORTAR SPLASH TIME IN THE LOG
While playing Death Valley Defense in version 1.03 I have ordered the M1064A3 mortar platoon to fire at 00,00:00:00. At 00,00:00:32 the log displays the following times to splash:

Mortar1- 00,00:02:58
Mortar1- 00,00:02:55

Mortar 2 fires at more or less 00,00:03:21 and the log changes the time to splash to 00,00:03:49, when it effectively hits the ground. Mortar 1 fires at more or less 00,00:04:13 and the log changes the time to splash to 00,00:04:42, when it effectively hits the ground.
Something's wrong, right?

2) FASCAM target crosses
When I order a FASCAM mission to a battery, the fire order says that the attitude is linear with a length of 1000. But when I place the mission on the ground, the crosses of the different guns overlap in the same point instead of appearing linear and showing the attitude as happens with other ammo types.

Changing subject... Do the dug holes affect visibility? In what extent (percentage) do they affect the pH/pK?
I have won Death Valley Defense very easily by establishing the engagement area just below PL CHARLIE (although you state that half way between PL Charlie and PL Scott is better). I forced the enemy to go through the center (where visiblity is good) by building obstacle belts on the sides (complemented with fire teams to extend the be belts to the high ground), guarded by Javelin teams and under cover of the some M1A2 and Bradleys. The center of PL Charlies was transformed into a cemetery. =P
The only losses I had were troops that formed the counter recon screen and two vehicles hit by enemy artillery (before the enemy spotters were eliminated). Most of my units in dug holes were not fired a single shot, which is why I am asking about the effect of dug holes.

Cheers,
Antonio

Pat Proctor
28 Aug 03, 17:24
I assume that the mortar issue you saw was in the Death Valley defense scenario...

This is a symptom of lag. The engine bogs down right at the beginning of the scenario because the AI is doing a lot of thinking. Right when you start the clock, the enemy sees your battle plan and positions for the first time and makes decisions which adjust its plan of attack.

The fire mission log should start to "catch up" after a few minutes, once all of the AI cycles have subsided. This effect really varies by machine and, unfortunately, there is not a lot that can be done about it. It is just a limitation of current PC processors.

The FASCAM issue is intentional. The linear target attitude and length should affect the orientation of the minefield. If we spread out the aimpoints, you might get multiple minefields instead of one, high-density minefield.

Finally, and this might just be sour grapes ;) but did you place any minefields forward of PL CHARLES? This is actually one of the 'Coordinating Instructions' in the OPORD. If not, you might give it another try, observing this restriction. It makes the demo a tougher challenge.

If not, good for you!

amrcg
28 Aug 03, 18:48
Dear captain

Thank you for the answers.

Finally, and this might just be sour grapes ;) but did you place any minefields forward of PL CHARLES? This is actually one of the 'Coordinating Instructions' in the OPORD. If not, you might give it another try, observing this restriction. It makes the demo a tougher challenge.
If not, good for you!
eheh! Yes, I read the OPORD and I have followed its instructions. ;)

Cheers,
Antonio

amrcg
28 Aug 03, 19:24
Dear captain,

Just to remind you of my question about the effect of dug holes...

Cheers,
Antonio

Pat Proctor
28 Aug 03, 20:26
Doh!

Vehicles in holes are more difficult, both to see and to hit. If you are facing them, use artillery or direct fire to suppress them. Suppression makes them easier to see.

The modifier is dependent up on the posture of the vehicle in the hole (hold fire, defilade). But generally, not in hold fire, they are twice as hard to see and hit, in hold fire they are about four times harder to see and hit. This is a gross generalization of what really occurs, but it gives you an idea.