PDA

View Full Version : Weapons DB Stats

kbluck
25 Aug 03, 12:46
I couldn't find anything on the Weapons List in the online help. I have a couple of questions:

How do "Penetration" and "Sight Magnification" affect performance of a weapon? Penetration completely mystifies me. Magnification I presume affects pH, but I was hoping for guidelines as to its proper use. I have actual sight data for weapons, but it seems to me that some weapons, ATGMs for example, have this value jacked up, presumably because the pH algorithm as implemented doesn't take into account active guidance (sounds like a job for a special attribute!)

Speaking of, is the "Minimum Range" attribute implemented?

Thanks,

--- Kevin

Pat Proctor
25 Aug 03, 14:43
The penetration attribute is a relative value that allows the AI to figure out what is the most powerful weapon. If a unit has two weapons ready to fire, and both have a pK against a target, the AI will chose the lower penetration to attack the target. This prevents, for instance, a bradley from firing its first shot as a TOW, against a BRDM, before trying the 25mm.

I am not aware of any Magnification factors being "Jacked up" for any weapon systems. When we built the database, to the best of our ability, we tried to use actual magnification factors for weapon systems (i.e. the TOW site has a X11 magnification). If you see any magnifications that are screwed up, let us know.

You are correct that magnification effects pH, but it is a kind of ellusive factor. With a stationary target and/or stabilize firer, it increase pH. With a moving target and/or firer, it reduces pH, unless the platform is stabilized, in which case it increases pH (with a non-stabilized weapon system, it is more difficult to track a moving target as magnification gets higher).

kbluck
25 Aug 03, 15:47
If a unit has two weapons ready to fire, and both have a pK against a target, the AI will chose the lower penetration to attack the target.

Aha! So *that's* why my M1s are always shooting up light armor with .50 cal! Yes, that's a very interesting insight. A sort of poor man's "target affinity" rating.

However, I've seen that the tank does eventually fire its main gun. How does it decide to do that? Is it waiting for the moment when the main gun is ready but the .50 cal is in a "time to fire" pause, and therefore not "ready to fire", making the main gun the lowest pen weapon available at that moment?

Similarly, how will this affect, for example, fire teams which have a machinegun (higher penetration) and rifles? Assuming all are in range, will they fire the rifles only and hold off the MG fire until *all* the rifles happen to be unavailable? If I set MGs to the same penetration as rifles, will they all fire simultaneously?

I am not aware of any Magnification factors being "Jacked up" for any weapon systems.

You're right. That was an initial impression I gained some time ago when I was still completely confused by the database. Now that I'm only partially confused, I can see that the mag values are generally accurate.

Your response begs an additional question, though. How does the game know if a platform is "stabilized"?

--- Kevin