PDA

View Full Version : Napoleonic Batles vs Fields Of Glory

amrcg
02 Oct 05, 21:19
How would you compare HPS's Napoleonic Batles with Fields Of Glory? Does Napoleonic Batles have a troop/scenario editor and multiplayer/PBEM capability?

Best regards,
Antonio Grilo

rahamy
03 Oct 05, 18:04
How would you compare HPS's Napoleonic Batles with Fields Of Glory? Does Napoleonic Batles have a troop/scenario editor and multiplayer/PBEM capability?

Best regards,
Antonio Grilo

Hi Antonio,

I haven't played FoG, so I can't comment directly on that comparison, but should be able to answer any questions you have about the HPS series.

There is a scenario editor that comes with each game, allowing you to modify every existing scenario or create your own new ones from scratch. Total control over unit placement, arrival times & locations, condition of troops upon arival, victory conditions, ammo levels, etc. Lot's to work with here.

No map editor is provided, but you can create sub-maps from the existing maps, which allows for a lot of new stuff, especailly in Waterloo & Eckmuhl which both have HUGE maps that ship with them. Waterloo's main map is 560 x 400 (225,000 hexes). Eckmuhl's main map is 425 x 768 (326,400 hexes). So it's easy to find locations that aren't heavily used in the stock scenarios to create your own custom work. Napoleon's Russian Campaign has a large variety of medium sized maps to choose from.

It is possible to edit the OOB's, either altering existing ones or creating new ones from scratch, however there is no GUI interface for this, it is done inside the text files. Pretty easy though.

And finally you can alter the PDT files (Parameter Data Files) which control all sorts of aspects of the games. (weapon effectiveness & range, movement cost, weather attributes, command ranges, etc.)

With all these items it's best to save the files with a new name and not alter the stock files, as it will cause you a lot of problems when you play others if you don't.

If you have more questions please let us know.

Regards,
Rich

amrcg
03 Oct 05, 18:40
Hi Antonio,
I haven't played FoG, so I can't comment directly on that comparison, but should be able to answer any questions you have about the HPS series.

FoG was a "real-time" tactical game (instead of turn-based). It came with a very nice unit and leader database, with nice historical notes.
Is "Napoleonic Battles" turn-based like Horse&Musket or "real-time" like FoG? Does it include a database? Do you know if there will be any map editor sometime in the future, or was it a business choice not to provide this facility?

Best regards,
Antonio Grilo

rahamy
03 Oct 05, 18:45
These are turn based games, which I personally prefer...don't have the time for RT. I like the ability to fit some gaming in regardles of the amount of time I have...be it 5 minutes or 5 hours.

The database that you speak of is the OOB's. The HPS games are period/campaign specific, not tool kits to build anything from the period. With that said though, with each title you get you get a very historically accurate and in-depth OOB for the campaign being covered. You can also make your own, assuming you have the time to do the research. :)

And finally on the map editor, there will not be one as long as Tiller/HPS have any intention of publishing Napoleonic games. If they get out of the market then maybe...but that would mean no further engine enhancements either, so it wouldn't really be desirable, IMHO.

Sgt_Rock
17 Oct 05, 03:23
Real time gaming is fine if you dont have a family. If you do then PBEM is the way to go with an occaisional online game now and then when the wife and kids are at the mother-in-laws or Disneyland/world.

I had to hang up my realtime games sometime back due to staying-up-til-crack-of-dawn-and-paying-for-it-the-next-day disease. :surprise: :cry:

The HPS games play very well online. Its a blast watching troops come down the pike out of the woods. Oh man, I left my flank open! Kaputsky.