PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever read the Sharpe's series of books?

Leftie
01 Aug 05, 01:16
The series by Bernard Cornwell is a great primer to the Napoleonic games by HPS. They help me visualize the troop movement and the fluidness of the battles. I know that they are fiction set in a historical era but I still find them an enjoyable way to get ideas for AARs. Speaking of AARs, watch for one coming from me shortly.

XRAY
01 Aug 05, 05:13
Tried reading one of his books once Ben but just couldn’t get into it. I thinks it was not so much the quasi historical content but his style of writing that put me off.

CyberRanger
01 Aug 05, 09:02
I remember seeing a show on PBS called "Sharpe's Rifles". Excellent show. Do you know if this is the same "Sharpe"?

Doc Ozzie
01 Aug 05, 14:10
Yes,

Richard Sharpe is the main character of that TV show and the books (Bernard Cornwwell).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108108/

The Sharpe books in my opinion are written with an enjoyable quick style of writing and are based upon historical-fiction.

If I am not in the mood to read a history book but just want to immerse myself in the era, they are quite fun. IMO.

To understand where I am coming from. If your into historical fiction writing , I would rate the following as:

Michael Shaara/Jeffrey Shaara series as a 9 out of 10. (IMO the best historical writing of that era)

Patrick O’Brian’s Napoleonic Naval 9 out of 10. The Character Capt. Jack Aubrey was modelled after Cochran, who If I remember correctly was the Admiral bombarding US soil in the war of 1812.

The Richard Sharpe series I would rate a 7’ish out of 10.

Horatio Hornblower Napoleonic Naval series by CS Forester is a 7’ish out of 10.

But this rating is my subjective opinion of my expectations. I feel Shaara and O’Brian are a bit more “serious” (if that is the word I am looking for), but I would recommend them all.

Leftie
01 Aug 05, 18:43
I totally agree with you. I have read the first 3 books so far and they are easy to digest with little in the way of complexity or difficult to understand concepts. But they flow pretty well and I rather enjoy them. Sharpe is like a Napoleonic Bond or something.

KG_RangerBooBoo
04 Aug 05, 20:20
I've really enjoyed the Sharpe books. I found that I had a lot better understanding of how the Napoleonic battlefield worked from reading the books.

Jim Cobb
07 Aug 05, 16:21
I've read them all, some twice. I picked up al 14 episodes on DVD on Ebay for $10.

I think we can expect two, including one on Flanders. Not serious history but enjoyable.

Dean Beecham
14 Aug 05, 19:35
Hi New member here,
Got all the book,first ones,that came out before the TV or DVDs,I find them a great read,
The DVDs are not as good as the Books but if you are into Nappy,A must to get,