PDA

View Full Version : Database editor

kbluck
18 Jun 03, 17:04
When using the database, it would be really handy to be able to export *everything* into a delimited text file and then reload it when you're through, or to reimport it as a new list. Like the pKs now, for example. That's really nice, and I wish I could do that for all the various lists, so I can see everything all at once, and perhaps sort or arrange it in a logical (for me) manner. It would be nice to be able to add and remove records in this manner, as well.

Speaking of pKs, boy, having to cross-index *every* vehicle with *every* weapon could really add up. One foible --- I noticed that the pKs are universally set to zero for "friendly" equipment. What happens when the enemies use "friendly" equipment? Panama, for example. My point being, is there any game reason we shouldn't set pKs to allow "Blue on Blue", or do we have to define whole new database entries for otherwise identical enemy equipment, like "M16" vs "M16 (Panamanian)"?

--- Kevin

Pat Proctor
18 Jun 03, 18:57
There is no reason you can not make blue weapons effective against blue vehicles, or vice versa. It will not break the game.

We built the database without the benefit of the delimited list feature we have given you. We left these pK's off to save time.

If you would like to take a stab at editing the tables, we will gladly host the results at Shrapnel Games Intel Forum.

Your other request, tables for every database element, just is not going to happen. Every vehicle is different, with different attributes and attribute holders. It just won't line up in a table friendly format. It would have worked in BCT, but not ATF.

kbluck
18 Jun 03, 19:16
There is no reason you can not make blue weapons effective against blue vehicles, or vice versa. It will not break the game.

I didn't think so, but just wanted to make sure.

I'll be gradually developing new database tables based on my own research and sense of "right and wrong" for any scenarios I develop. I will, of course, be happy to share the various fruits of that effort for anybody interested. I'll name it something other than "database1", though...

Your other request, tables for every database element, just is not going to happen. Every vehicle is different, with different attributes and attribute holders. It just won't line up in a table friendly format. It would have worked in BCT, but not ATF.

XML works nicely for exactly that sort of nested, arbitrarily structured data. There's a variety of third-party editors that could then be used to manipulate it as a batch rather than struggling through one-at-a-time dialogs. In fact, it seems to me you could store the data as XML in the first place, with the added advantage of being able to add new attributes as you proceed without breaking older versions of the game that try to load them.

Anyhow, I don't expect you to implement something like that promptly, but would merely like to offer it for your consideration for future work.

Thanks,

--- Kevin