PDA

View Full Version : Talonsoft Battleground Series Help

MC82
07 Apr 05, 20:06
This seemed like the most appropriate forum to post this question... I'm trying to get the Civil War battleground games to run on winXP with the 32bit updates, everything runs fine until a scenario opens, then I get an error message of "Error reading from map file: main.map". Running in compatibilty mode for win95/98 crashes the game, and for some reason Chickamauga runs fine but Bull Run and Gettysburg are both giving me the same error. Anyone have any ideas?

KG_RangerBooBoo
07 Apr 05, 21:55
That's odd, I had trouble the other way around. All the games except Chickamauga ran just fine on XP. There is a work around to get by the security feature of Chickamauga to make it work. Sorry I can't help you with your problem.

trauth116
07 Apr 05, 22:01
I get a slightly different problem - in that - I can call everything up - but never a description of the scenario when trying to run the .exe file for each game -not sure what that is about - I suppose f there are lists as to the scenarios around it is not that big of a deal to me... just like to know what I am playing is all - if it is a variant or not.

Boonierat
08 Apr 05, 03:02
This seemed like the most appropriate forum to post this question... I'm trying to get the Civil War battleground games to run on winXP with the 32bit updates, everything runs fine until a scenario opens, then I get an error message of "Error reading from map file: main.map". Running in compatibilty mode for win95/98 crashes the game, and for some reason Chickamauga runs fine but Bull Run and Gettysburg are both giving me the same error. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you patch the games before updating them with the 32-bits engines?

rahamy
08 Apr 05, 07:48
Guys,

I no longer own the games, so I'm working from memory here, but this is the order you need to do things in:

Clean install of the game.

Apply patch from this site - http://www.hc-llc.net/games/patches.html

Then go to John Tiller's site, linked at the top and apply the Scenario Editor & 32-bit upgrades.

You should be all set after that. If you use other patches floating around the net it's quite possible they are the modified Talonosft ones which will not allow John's 32-bit upgrades to work... (yes, they were that petty in the end...)

Regards,
Rich

MC82
08 Apr 05, 14:17
Hadn't downloaded any of the other talonsoft patches yet, honestly had no idea where to even find them, so thanks for the link! Will clean install then d/l those when I get home, and try the game without and then with the 32bit patch and post here and let you guys know. Thanks!

Hunter
08 Apr 05, 23:58
The problem is that in order to install the Talonsoft Patches, you have to download and save them to someplace outside of the game folder. The easiest way that I have found is to save them to my desktop and then install the patches. The game will then work the way that they're supposed to.

Here's a site where you can get ALL the BG and HPS patches, plus other goodies:

http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/

Follow the instructions there and you shouldn't have any problem.

1. Clean Install

2. DL and SAVE to Desk top the Talonsoft patch.

3. Open the file and install to the game folder.

This will bring it up to the Talonsoft patched leevel.

Then download and install the Tiller patches .

This will bring them up to the 32 bit level and you should be ready to go.

Why you are there, You might like to explore the site as this is club is dedicated to those of us that enjoy pitting ourselves against one another either one on one or in tourneys.
You can even join which ever side you like. We have a teaching area (West Point for the Union and VMI for the Confederacy ) that once you have demonstrated a grasp of the mechnanics of the gameplay you will then be assigned to your choice of respective army and you go from there.

Colonel Lloyd Cole, CSA
3rd Virginia Cavalry Division
Second Corps ( Jackson )
Army of Northern Virginia

Hunter
09 Apr 05, 00:09
Again, there is a patch for Chickamaugua and XP. It is available at the following site:

http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/

Chickamuagua had two bad bugs in it that caused havoc if your rig was a Gateway product- for some reason the Gateway machines hated that game.
The other problem was with Windows 2000 wouldn't run it either or it would lock up when you tried to play it on a Win2k machine. And since XP is based on the 2k code, it also disliked the game.

Gettysburg:
BG-Gettysburg v1.34 US edition

BG-Gettysburg v1.34 UK edition

Shiloh:
BG-Shiloh v1.12 US edition

BG-Shiloh v1.12 UK edition

Antietam:
BG-Antietam v1.12 US edition

BG-Antietam v1.12 UK edition

Bull Run:
BG-Bull Run v1.02 US edition

Chickamaugua vs Gateway fix

Instructions for downloading BGC gateway update:
First, locate and DELETE the BGC.ICD file from your BGC folder on your hard drive. This is very important! Note: If you are applying this update to a fresh install, you will not have a BGC.icd file on your system.
When prompted to, save the update to your hard disk. For easier installation, download the saved file directly into the game folder. The default directory for Battleground Chickamauga is C:\Program Files\TalonSoft\Battleground Chickamauga. If you have loaded the game to a different directory, download the update there.
Once the file is downloaded, double-click on the downloaded file. This will execute the update, and your game will begin the update process.
Once the game has been updated, and you receive the update confirmation, you can remove the update from your system.
Note: If you do this, and for any reason you need to reinstall the game and update a second time, you will need to download the file again.

Hunter
09 Apr 05, 00:17
The following are the instructions for installing all Battleground Series Patches.

Instructions for downloading updates:
Locate the file which pertains to the game you wish to update. Updates are available for both the US version and the UK version of the game. All updates include all changes made in prior updates, it is not necessary to find a previous update.
When prompted to, save the update to your hard disk. For easier installation, download the saved file directly into the game folder. The default directory for Gettysburg is C:\BGG. If you have loaded the game to a different directory, download the update there.
Open the zipped file and extract the contents into your default directory.
Note: The update will not work if you do not have the file INSIDE the game directory.
Double-click on the *.exe file inside your game directory. This will execute the update, and your game will begin the update process.
Once the game has been updated, and you receive the update confirmation, you can remove the update from your system.
Note: If you do this, and for any reason you need to reinstall the game and update a second time, you will need to download the file again

MC82
10 Apr 05, 17:11
Have now tried everything suggested here to no avail... Before being updated, the game will just give me the map load error, after patching (and both with and without the 32bit patch) it just crashes as soon as it tries to load the main program. Opening straight from the main program into one of the main huge battles DOES work but no briefings, etc. Better than nothing at least. Thanks alot for all the suggestions here! If anything else comes to mind please let me know. I'm really starting to wish my old win95 Pentium 200 hadn't been sacrificed for spare parts thanks to these and several other older games (Age of Rifles, Great Battles Series) refusing to ever run correctly in XP :mad: Thanks again guys!

Hunter
10 Apr 05, 20:16
Hey MC.

If you have ICQ buzz me. My number is 18-311-419m Maybe we can figure out what's going on.

Hunter
10 Apr 05, 21:04
Have now tried everything suggested here to no avail... Before being updated, the game will just give me the map load error, after patching (and both with and without the 32bit patch) it just crashes as soon as it tries to load the main program. Opening straight from the main program into one of the main huge battles DOES work but no briefings, etc. Better than nothing at least. Thanks alot for all the suggestions here! If anything else comes to mind please let me know. I'm really starting to wish my old win95 Pentium 200 hadn't been sacrificed for spare parts thanks to these and several other older games (Age of Rifles, Great Battles Series) refusing to ever run correctly in XP :mad: Thanks again guys!

Ok, there's something you aren't doing right that's souring the milk so to speak.

Let's address a couple of things about XP. It WIll run only a few DOS games -and eventhere it's hit or miss. Age of Rifles is, unfortunately one of them. It was even getting hard to run under Win98 SE for me.

Ok now to theBG series.

This works for me.

1. Do a CLEAN install of the program. I mean get rid of everything associated with the program. Go into Windows explorer and delete the folder completely.

2. Go to the ACWC Cartography page ( see the address I posted earlier.) Click on the BG Patches listing .
Once that page has come up, find the BG game you want to patch. These are the OFFICIAL TALONSOFT patches and have to be downloaded first!

3. Download and SAVE them to your DESKTOP. No where else.

4. Open them and send the patch to the game folder When it begins to unload it will open a small window and a red line will progress line will show as it patches the game. You can check to see if it's there by opening the folder. It will show the following icon in it 3 yellow, red and blue boxes imposed on each other with the patch name under it BGG_134 ( Gettysburg ) or BGBR_102 ( Bull Run )etc. The game is now for the the 32 bit level and you are ready for the next run of the dance.

5. Now go to the section on the same page titled 32 Bit Upgrades for the Battleground Series. Download the patch that matches your game and again save to your desktop (Step 3)

6. Repeat step four to install this patch. If you check the folder again you should see a red icon with a eagle in the center of it and the title "BGG" under it ( if the game is Gettysburg for example. )

7. Now go to the section with BG-ACW Scenario Editor and repeat steps 3- 4 again. This will install the final patch into the game. When you check the folder you should see the following icon: a red box with blue stripe in the center with a crossed sword on top with the word "editor" underneath.

Your game is now ready to go. Put your game cd in your cdrom drive and then click on the game icon on your desk and sally forth.

Now one thing that I have noticed with XP is that when the cd-r spins up the autorun will start and a couple of boxes will pop up and ask you what program to open it up with. Don't pay anyattention to it. Just click on the cancel button amd go on with your game.

I am posting the Tiller website here

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tiller/

If these steps confused you read those here. And if you are still stuck you can email Mr. Tiller. He is good about replying to you, though it may take him a few days, after all he is pretty busy.

And if you'd like to try a little email fighting give me a yell. Be more than happy to take you on. Promise I'll be easy on ya. :laugh:

Hunter
10 Apr 05, 21:12
I forgot one other thing...

If you think this is hard, try patching FALCON 4.0! That has a list of steps that are about 5 printed pages LONG. Of course this is all the aftermarket upgrades, but WELL WORTH it. Once you have then you have the most intense flght simulator around. Just a comparison.

The ACW dance should only eat up about 20 mins total depending on how you conect to the Net.

If I can help you buzz me via ICQ or here.

Semper Fi.

Lloyd Cole, Col, CSA
3rd Va. Cav
II Coprs
ANV

MC82
11 Apr 05, 07:22
Thanks for all the help Hunter and everyone else who's posted. Trying your idea now Hunter, step by step with every instruction... If this doesn't work I'm going to try just dragging the game directory off the cd onto my HD and patching, to see if it makes any difference there. And I agree with you on Falcon 4! Serious pain to patch, seriously great game after (that I still have no clue how to play except for basics (landing, guns, etc). I think I also spent a week straight tweaking IL-2 Forgotten Battles... At first I was getting about 10FPS with it, tweaked and tweaked till I had it running at a smooth 30-35 with almost full details, then had to wipe the HD clean and reinstall windows, and now have no recollection of what I did to fix it and no desire to spend another week figuring it out :-( Somehow DID get EAW up and running just fine on this computer though! Will let you know how BG works this time...

MC82
11 Apr 05, 07:34
Still getting the dreaded "bgr.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error... Did everything just as I read. Going to try the drag and drop the whole folder from the cd on my hd next just for the sake of trying. I'll definitely be up for a game if I ever get this thing to work! Also always up for a game with the Talonsoft campaign series, Campaign 1776, Chickamauga, TOAW and Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (though not any good at those last two yet):-D .

CyberRanger
11 Apr 05, 08:08
Good luck with getting it to run. I keep meaning to try my TalonSoft games and forget to grab a CD. (I have Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Bull Run.) BTW - if you play a TalonSoft CW battle, we will add the scenario to WARS (the ladder) so you can report the results. :)

MC82
11 Apr 05, 12:37
Well I just got it working :-D Using the ACWCO Launcher from acwgc.org it'll boot up and run fine. Thanks to Hunter, Rahamy, and everyone else who's posted. Hunter when you're up for a game let me know, I have Bull Run and Chickamauga running and also have the other Civil War Battlegrounds to be installed so just about any scenario works for me... I'm a total newbie to Civil War battles though so bear with me if I do something completely unhistorical or stupid!

Hunter
14 Apr 05, 23:54
Glad to hear that you got it going. Be most happy to oblige you in a game. I will let you name your poision. Of course I do have one stipulation to the ROE. I will take the Confederate side of the fence, otherwise, bring it on.

We can negotiate the ROE when we decide on which dance to go to.

my email is

huntercole@adelphia.net