PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing smoke

kbluck
05 May 03, 16:00
I've noticed that when you have smoke on the map, if you pause the game the smoke disappears. I'm not sure if it really disappears altogether, or just goes missing from the map display, but either way it's vexing.

Thanks,

--- Kevin

Deltapooh
05 May 03, 16:38
This is an old BCT problem that came over to ATF. I does make correcting your smoke deployments a little more difficult if you're like me (I stop the clock to order artillery attacks. Makes it easier for all tubes to shoot at the same time.)

Pat Proctor
06 May 03, 10:56
It was intentional to allow you to see the map without the smoke, in case the situation had become overly cluttered. It we can get somewhat of a quarum(sp?) in favor of showing smoke when time is stopped, I will fix it for v1.02, which we are finishing up now.

kbluck
06 May 03, 11:27
I vote for leaving it on. I've had some pretty busy maps, and it never once came to my mind, "I wish all this smoke would go away."

The ideal solution, of course, would be to please both camps by including "Hide smoke when paused" as an Options dialog option.

At least have the smoke come back when the game resumes. It doesn't, not for me anyway.

Thanks,

--- Kevin

Deltapooh
06 May 03, 18:11
Originally posted by CPT Proctor
It was intentional to allow you to see the map without the smoke, in case the situation had become overly cluttered. It we can get somewhat of a quarum(sp?) in favor of showing smoke when time is stopped, I will fix it for v1.02, which we are finishing up now.

Another solution would be to give players the ability to copy and paste spot reports and fire missions to the program of their choosing. I would really like that. :D :D :D

Since you mentioned v1.02, can you talk about some of the fixes and changes, or is it still classified to a point where telling people will force you to do some killing :o

Pat Proctor
06 May 03, 21:08
The new feature we will add is in the realm of scenario construciton. We've built an ATF Power Toolkit, which includes a map and database editor.
We have cleaned up all kinds of issues, including the options window not opening, some of the timing issues kbluck has been talking about, some multiplayer fixes and tweaks, and some clean up of the assignment of orders to units, hierarchies, and user defined groups.

We are working on a tutorial for both the ATF Scenario Builder and the ATF Power Toolkit, but that may be released seperately from the v. 1.02 upgrade. But that tutorial will include two new maps, a new database (which will add UH-60L and a vehicle or two, but not be a fundamental change, like vietnam era or anything), and a new scenario.

One of the downsides of being a game designer is you know all the enemy battle plans for the scenarios. I better get a new scenario from someone out of this!:p

amrcg
07 May 03, 07:29
Originally posted by CPT Proctor

Will ATF 1.02 be shipped in the CDs bought after its release, or will it be only available through free downloading at the site?

Best regards,
Antonio

Pat Proctor
07 May 03, 23:09
I can not project when we will do another printing of ATF, but when we do, we will try to include the v 1.02 upgrade. But, for the forseeable future, it will require a free download from the Shrapnel site.

amrcg
08 May 03, 05:37
>I can not project when we will do another printing of ATF, but >when we do, we will try to include the v 1.02 upgrade. But, for >the forseeable future, it will require a free download from the >Shrapnel site.
Then I think I'm going to buy it today. Temptation is too strong =P

Kind regards,
Antonio

Pat Proctor
10 May 03, 01:33
Please ignore all previous comments I made on the original smoke topic. Are you playing BCT Commander? I ask because, in ATF, the game has always displayed smoke during pause.

If you are playing ATF and seeing this behavior, I need all of your system specs and a save game, because it is a bug. If you are seeing it in BCT Commander, it is, for better or worse, intentional behavior.

kbluck
11 May 03, 15:15
Are you playing BCT Commander?

No, ATF v1.01

I ask because, in ATF, the game has always displayed smoke during pause.

Heh! Not on my system.

If you are playing ATF and seeing this behavior, I need all of your system specs and a save game, because it is a bug.

Here you go.

I can pick any situation anywhere and it will do the same. In this case, I just started a new game without repositioning anything, assigned a fire mission for smoke, and waited for it to land. I noticed one interesting thing; when I paused using the toolbar, the smoke remained, but when I paused using the 'S' key, it disappeared. There are 3 savegames --- just before smoke lands, after the toolbar pause, and after the hotkey pause.

I also included a report from my Computer Management utility. If you're interested, this also happens to be the computer where the options dialog doesn't work.

--- Kevin

Pat Proctor
11 May 03, 19:17
Thanks! I have recreated the bug and am working hard on it right now.

Pat Proctor
11 May 03, 20:01
That was a great tip!:D

You actually uncovered a symptom of a major engine issue with how the game handled the clock stopping. Thanks for the great save!

kbluck
12 May 03, 01:00
Aw, shucks, Captain... you're embarassing me! ... :whist:

Glad to be of service,

--- Kevin