PDA

View Full Version : Can't infantrymen mount on tanks?

amrcg
09 Apr 03, 09:37
Dear Captain

Will any future version allow infantrymen to mount on tanks?

Best regards,
Antonio

Pat Proctor
09 Apr 03, 23:04
This is not really a tactic commonly employed in modern militaries. It really kind of died out in the Vietnam war, with the exception of some Third World armies.

That having been said, the capability does exist. Once the database editor is released (we're working on it now), you will have the ability to add this capability to your armor units, if you wish.

Of course, your infantry will not be ridiculously vulnerable, as they would be if they were riding on the outside of the tank (which is part of the reason it isn't done anymore).

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question.

amrcg
10 Apr 03, 05:57
>Of course, your infantry will not be ridiculously vulnerable, as >they would be if they were riding on the outside of the tank
>(which is part of the reason it isn't done anymore).
mmm... I was precisely referring to infantry vulnerably riding outside of tanks (I'm a TacOps player where this feature is implemented). But I can see from your answer that this feature is not and will not be implemented.
Would the implementation of this feature be technically difficult in ATF? From my point of view it's just a question of adding an "mounted outside"/"mounted inside" to the vehicle in the data base.

Best regards,
Antonio

Pat Proctor
10 Apr 03, 11:39
It is actually a feature we had not thought about before. I could see application in Air Assault Task Force, our next commercial release, for personnel in "technicals" and similar vehicles. It would also have some, cross application to anyone who wanted to build a vietnam or WWII database mod.

We will look into the feasibility of adding this feature.