PDA

View Full Version : Squad Battles: The Proud and the Few AI :-(

splooger
26 Aug 04, 21:50
I recently purchased Squad Battles: The Proud and the Few after reading the
AI in these games is decent. I have to ask, what AI? I played the first
scenario called "The Makin Raid" as the USMC and it was almost a complete
walkover. I then played it as the Japanese and the USMC did not even unload
its units from the boats! The scenario states it's playable as either side.
I have not played any other scenarios, so I hope this is just a problem with
this scenario and not the others, but I doubt it. I notice nearly all the
others recommend playing as the USMC, and I would guess this is because the
AI is incapable of attacking. In truth, based on this scenario, I would say
the game has no AI, because as the Japanese it would not even move its
reinforcing trucks loaded with units on the southeast portion of the island!
I hoped Tiller had improved his AI over the years but it seems, as least in
this scenario, it's even worse :-(

Wodin
26 Aug 04, 22:13
I recently bought AoTR and have to say Ive found the AI very good indeed.

It all depends on the scenarios and P&F isnt the best. Go over to the Team Echo site for some moredownloads of scenarios. Buy AoTR aswell it has the most user made scenarios out of all of them.

Also PacWar has an Africa Mod which is supposed to be superb. The AI is programmed separately for each scen so its going to vary.

Ive got Korea on the way which is suppossed to have the best stock scenarios out of all of them.

When I started playing AoTR I just didnt like it. Then bingo I got it. Its now becoming my fav game for a long time.
Also join the ladder over at Blitz to PBEM.

splooger
26 Aug 04, 22:21
Thanks for the reply, Wodin. I did not know the AI was programmed for each scenario. Can you explain that in more detail? Does that mean a given side will do nothing if the scenario designer did not program it? How powerful is the AI program tool? Is it as powerful as the Operational Art of War series? Do you give each unit certain objectives? Is there a default AI? I do have AoTR coming in the mail so I hope you're right about the AI in that game. Thanks for your help.

Ivan Rapkinov
26 Aug 04, 22:22
Makin Raid was done by Wild Bill in the day after we got the CD in the mail :D

P&F is interesting in that nearly all the scn designers (WB, Louie Marsh, etc) who came onboard from the Raiders had never seen the system, and were only learning slowly how to get the AI to do what they want. I think Only CJ and myself had any experience, and I only did the one scn afair. (The Matanikau (sp) one, iirc).

You should try some of the other scns - especially some of the beach assaults - THAT is what makes P&F one of my more favourite SB games - also, watch out for banzais and pole mines; as soon as they were put into the engine EVERY scn designed had one...that got tedious to test :D

Ivan Rapkinov
26 Aug 04, 22:25
oh yeah, AI questions - the AI does what it's told...kinda - a lot of the times, the scripting is there, but the triggers are muffed.

The scn editor isn't as good as TOAWs, but it's a different scale - it does what it needs to do, and solidly.

I have plenty of SB emails laying about, so if you have any questions, don;t hesitate to ask :)

splooger
26 Aug 04, 22:26
Makin Raid was done by Wild Bill in the day after we got the CD in the mail :D

P&F is interesting in that nearly all the scn designers (WB, Louie Marsh, etc) who came onboard from the Raiders had never seen the system, and were only learning slowly how to get the AI to do what they want. I think Only CJ and myself had any experience, and I only did the one scn afair. (The Matanikau (sp) one, iirc).

You should try some of the other scns - especially some of the beach assaults - THAT is what makes P&F one of my more favourite SB games - also, watch out for banzais and pole mines; as soon as they were put into the engine EVERY scn designed had one...that got tedious to test :D

Thanks for the info, Ivan. Could you please give me some names of the good scenarios to play vs. the AI? Especially the beach assault ones :D Pretty please.

Ivan Rapkinov
26 Aug 04, 23:45
Try Betio :)

if you think the AI's easy :D

(also, the included scn is much easier than the original...)

splooger
26 Aug 04, 23:54
Try Betio :)

if you think the AI's easy :D

(also, the included scn is much easier than the original...)

Where can I get it? I don't see it with the scenarios on disk.

Ivan Rapkinov
26 Aug 04, 23:57
err, might be called island of blood :)

splooger
27 Aug 04, 00:06
err, might be called island of blood :)

I see "A River of Blood" parts 1 and 2, could that be it?

Ivan Rapkinov
27 Aug 04, 00:09
nope...umm, there should be a scn list in either the manual or as a standalone - it should give the dates and locations for the battles - I'm not sure if I;ve got retail copy of P&F, but I'll have a look.

Meanwhile, try the First Matanikau and see how you go :)

splooger
27 Aug 04, 00:15
nope...umm, there should be a scn list in either the manual or as a standalone - it should give the dates and locations for the battles - I'm not sure if I;ve got retail copy of P&F, but I'll have a look.

Meanwhile, try the First Matanikau and see how you go :)

I'll give it a go, thanks!